Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Meal Solutions Family Meal Solutions

ruined crockpot dinner?

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 4:05 PM
  • 9 Replies
So this is the very first time I ever used a crockpot. I put ribs AND rice at the same time. Not good? Will it be edible? I didn't put the bbq sauce.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 4:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
BelindaDuvessa
by Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Add water as needed, but not too much.  Don't add the BBQ sauce until a bit later, depending on how watery you want it.  Don't let it scorch, but if you want a good, bbq flavor, don't leave a whole lot of water in there either.

Next time, do the rice on the stove and the ribs in the
crock pot.  Cooking at home has a learning curve.  Sometimes your meals will be great, other times it just ends up being an experience.  The point is to never give up!

RADmomma
by Sara on Aug. 10, 2012 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this

good advice...

Quoting BelindaDuvessa:

Add water as needed, but not too much.  Don't add the BBQ sauce until a bit later, depending on how watery you want it.  Don't let it scorch, but if you want a good, bbq flavor, don't leave a whole lot of water in there either.

crock pot.  Cooking at home has a learning curve.  Sometimes your meals will be great, other times it just ends up being an experience.  The point is to never give up!

I also never cook the rice or any pasta in the crock pot... I use a pan on the stove. It gets less mushy that way...

I am sure it will be edible... but it might not have the best texture...

next time I would put the ribs and bbg sauce in... cook on low.. add a little water about half way through...

I also add a little brown sugar...

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Aug. 10, 2012 at 7:52 PM
They both gave very good advice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
uneeque76
by Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Quoting BelindaDuvessa:

You sound like a good cook, or a good one in the making.

iea13
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 8:50 PM
It was good but the rice came out mushy. Lesson learned:-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BelindaDuvessa
by Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Thank you.  My husband and I are both decent cooks.  Some we learned from our parents, but alot has been trial and error since we got together.  We have yet to throw anything out, but some has come close.  I'm no world renowned chef, but we get by.

Quoting uneeque76:

Quoting BelindaDuvessa:

You sound like a good cook, or a good one in the making.

BelindaDuvessa
by Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this

A tip:  If you do put rice in the crock pot, don't add it until at least halfway in.  And that's with with regular rice.  If you use Minute Rice, put the pot on warm, add the rice and cover.  Let it sit for about 5 minutes, and check the consistency.  If under done, recover for another 5 until the consistency you want.  Remember, pastas and rice will absorb moisture, even after the pot is turned off.

For pasta, add it the last 20-30 minutes of cooking, or just cook it on the stove top and serve teh crock pot stuff on top of it. 

Quoting iea13:

It was good but the rice came out mushy. Lesson learned:-)

JamminOutMama
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:03 AM
I would have put ribs water and sauce then about 45min before the meat is done throw in the rice. It will soak up extra water and then add more sauce as it is done. Everyone does it different but I do think rice cooked over an hour will be soggy
SammiBaby
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 9:39 PM

All the advice you got was very good. I always make my rice on the stovetop before simply because it's easier to control the texture of it. It's less likelly to get all mushy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)