4 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 pound Italian sausage, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup onions, small dice
1 cup celery, small dice
1 cup green bell peppers, diced
1 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons jalapeños or Serrano peppers, minced
1 pound chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup white wine
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen okra, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 cups cooked white rice
- In a skillet placed on stovetop set to medium heat, add oil. Once the oil is hot, brown and crumble the sausage until no pink remains, about 10 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain the grease, and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet.
- Add the flour and continuously stir with a whisk. Cook until flour has become a dark brown color but not burnt.
- Add the onions, celery, peppers, paprika, chili peppers, and chicken breast. Stir to combine ingredients and sauté additional 7-8 minutes until vegetables soften.
- Combine all of the remaining ingredients to the Crock-Pot® slow cooker except the shrimp. Cover and cook on Low for 7-8 hours or on High for 4-6 hours, adding in the shrimp 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve over cooked rice. Makes 6 servings.