Easy Indian Stew
Make this meatless meal ahead by putting the ingredients in the slow cooker. Let it cook all day and dinner will be ready when you get home from work.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1 pound yellow split peas
- 6 cups water
- 3/4 pound red bliss potatoes, quartered
- 2 cups frozen green peas
- 2 tablespoons cream of coconut
- Chopped fresh cilantro, optional
1. In a saucepan, heat oil on high. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, curry, cinnamon, salt, garlic, and ginger and cook for just 2 minutes.
2. Transfer the onion mixture to a 4-quart slow cooker. Stir in the split peas, water, and potatoes. Heat on low for 8 to 9 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours, depending on your schedule. About 15 minutes before you're ready to serve, stir in the green peas and cream of coconut. Spoon into bowls; sprinkle on cilantro, if desired.
Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: Calories: 384, Protein(gm): 23, Carbohydrate(gm): 66, Fat, total(gm): 5, Dietary Fiber, total(gm): 24, Sodium(mg): 315, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.