Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Meal Solutions Family Meal Solutions

Fresh pumpkin

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:26 AM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

Has anyone made a pumpkin pie from scratch? I am such a pumpkin fanatic, but I have yet to make a pie with anything but a can of pumpkin.  The directions look pretty easy though, just looks like it would take a lot longer.  How big of a difference is taste wise?

by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
RADmomma
by Sara on Oct. 18, 2012 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I have never made a pumpkin pie before. which is weird because I love pumpkin flavors

Shani527
by Shannon on Oct. 18, 2012 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Sorry no help. I wouldnt even know where to begin! LOL Let us knwo how it turns out

stellarmom1
by Becca on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:32 PM

ha, yeah it seems like a little bit of a project, I'll let ya'll know how it goes!

Quoting Shani527:

Sorry no help. I wouldnt even know where to begin! LOL Let us knwo how it turns out

Family4Eternity
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I haven't but know people that do. I love pumpkin as well but have heard its not the same as canned.

Stevied13
by Steph on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:42 PM
It tastes about the same. I was using the same oz as a can, but then there is too much filling. I think I use 1 1/2 cup of fresh pumpkin puree. It does have a fresher taste than the can pumpkin.
I had 22 pumpkins last year and canned almost all of them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Maries_Mom23
by Alice on Oct. 18, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Wow....22 pumpkins!

My girls would LOVE that!  LOL

Quoting Stevied13:

It tastes about the same. I was using the same oz as a can, but then there is too much filling. I think I use 1 1/2 cup of fresh pumpkin puree. It does have a fresher taste than the can pumpkin.
I had 22 pumpkins last year and canned almost all of them.

Maries_Mom23
by Alice on Oct. 18, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Never done it myself.  My "from scratch" pies are from canned pumpkin.  

SammiBaby
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I wouldn't say it's too much different in taste. I've never made a pumpkin pie from scratch although I'm doing so for Thanksgiving. I use fresh pumpkin though when making pumpkin related foods like pumpkin breads and such. I prefer it over the canned. It's actually fairly easy to do as far as steaming it, you can even do it in the microwave but it's obviously going to take much more time with from scratch than with canned.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)