Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Meal Solutions Family Meal Solutions

Buy the Best

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 4:16 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

Gently wiggle each egg in the carton to make sure it hasn't broken and stuck to the bottom. 

Select plump, smooth tomatoes without any blemishes. If they're too firm, place in a warm spot to ripen. 

Steer clear of strong-smelling cantaloupes—they are overripe. The best melons have a subtle, sweet aroma. 

The color of an orange doesn't indicate age—some oranges turn green again after maturity. Look for ones that are firm and heavy for their size. 

Choose corn ears with bright green husks. Peek inside to make sure the rows are tightly packed to the tip. 

A ripe pineapple feels heavy, its leaves are crisp and green, and its skin is golden yellow.

Avoid hard plums. Good ones yield to gentle pressure and are slightly soft at the tip end.  

by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I watched a show once about how this kind of thinking is causing literally TONS of food waste in our country, because people aren't satisfied with slightly imperfect foods so they're thrown out. The foods are still very edible, just not as pretty or perfect.
stellarmom1
by Becca on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Thanks!

Stevied13
by Steph on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:29 PM
Great! Tfs
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Family4Eternity
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Thanks for sharing.

SammiBaby
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 11:27 PM

All of these I knew except the plums. Simply because I have not purchased plums before.

wendums1229
by Wendi on Oct. 19, 2012 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting michiganmom116:

I watched a show once about how this kind of thinking is causing literally TONS of food waste in our country, because people aren't satisfied with slightly imperfect foods so they're thrown out. The foods are still very edible, just not as pretty or perfect.

I agree that imperfect foods are still very tasty depending on what you are using them for. Like a brown banana is better for cooking than a bright yellow one. I don't think that it means you should only buy/pick the perfect foods, just be cautious of what you are buying so as not to get something that has gone bad. It is meant to help with finding the ripe stuff if you will like the melon. Trust me I have gotten a bad one and they are yucky lol. This is just meant to be a guide, I would not want to give ppl the impression to only buy pretty food, cause there are way too many ppl out there without food :~@)

wendums1229
by Wendi on Oct. 19, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Quoting Stevied13:

Great! Tfs

welocme "~@)

wendums1229
by Wendi on Oct. 19, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Quoting wendums1229:

Quoting Stevied13:

Great! Tfs

welocme "~@)

oops Welcome :~@)

need more coffee lol

RADmomma
by Sara on Oct. 19, 2012 at 10:00 AM

great tips!

and I agree with you that it also depends on what you are using it for...

I get over ripe bananas for breads and muffins.

I also get the oranges that are reducded because they are getting old when I want to peel them & use the peels in my cleaning & boil the fruit for a nice smelling house.  same with lemons & limes...

justme_onlyme7
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

thx for the tips. now for remembering them. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN