Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! (Thanksgiving meal)

Posted by   + Show Post

So...I am now the 'surprise' host of Thanksgiving.  My dad got sick, so my mom asked if I could host instead.  She's provided all of the food, but I have to cook 1/2 of it at my house (she'll cook 1/2 at hers and bring it up to my house).

I rarely cook.  My DH is the main cook in our family and he's working.  I'm OK with the ham, and already did both desserts.  BUT, I'm unsure on mashed potatoes.

How early do I peel?  How long to boil?  Do I cut them up before or after boiling?  Some websites say to wait for the water to boil, then put in whole potatoes for 20+ minutes, then cut and mash.  Other sites say to put the potatoes in WHILE the water heats to a boil (and the potatoes are cut up already) then reduce to a simmer for 20+ minutes.

What do I do??  Also, how much milk?  salt?  butter?

Ugh.  I don't want to ask my mom because she's already busy with her stuff and it's embarrassing that I don't know how to make mashed potatoes.

by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:54 AM
Replies (11-15):
campingmomof4
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I do this.  I heat my milk in the microwave about a cup.   I don't use salt at all. 

Quoting Noni2319:

I peel and cut them up thenthrow them in a pot with water and start it. I let them cook for about 40 minutes.

The amount of butter depends on how many potatoes you are using.

For milk I add a little, and mash. If they seem a little thick I add a bit more. Just add a very little bit at a time. You can always add more if needed, but if you add to much they'll be runny.

RADmomma
by Sara on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I peel & cut the potatoes rinse with cold water and then cover in cold water until I am ready to cook.

add the to the pot. cover with water. add a pinch of salt... and boil until soft (poke with a fork.)

then I drain them add them to a glass bowl... I add a splash of milk, a tablespoon or so of butter, a little sprinkle of onion & garlic powder and a small scoop of cream cheese... like a tablespoon or a little more. then I mash & stir them until semi smooth...I like them a little lumpy....

they come out so creamy and yummy

the3Rs
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Thanks everyone!  It turned out great!  And now I know for the future ;)

AmosFarkle
by AmyV on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Quoting BelindaDuvessa:

Am I the only one who doesn't peel potatoes?

I use cream cheese in my mashed potatoes instead of sour cream or milk.

No, you're not!  I usually buy baby reds or Yukon Golds and instead of "mashed potatoes", I leave the (healthy!) peel on and make "smashed potatoes".  Cream cheese is AWESOME.  I suppose I'd peel and mash if that's what I were taking to the family meal, though.  So I didn't get any complaints.  wink mini Some people want it the way they've always had it.  I can deal with that.

(Ya'll, believe it or not, my family that is full of SUPER cooks somehow ended up with instant mashed potatoes without any seasoning....say, WHAaaahhhht??)

BelindaDuvessa
by Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:27 PM

I've done that before.  That's why I just buy the pre-seasoned ones if I make them from a package.  That way, I'm less likely to forget. 

Quote:

(Ya'll, believe it or not, my family that is full of SUPER cooks somehow ended up with instant mashed potatoes without any seasoning....say, WHAaaahhhht??)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)