Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 Ways To Use Overripe Bananas

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:53 PM
  • 22 Replies

Bananas are so hit and miss in our house. Either I buy them and they are gone within 24 hours, or they sit on the shelf for days until they look like this. ^

Yuck.

I know there are people who only eat super-ripe bananas, but none of them live in my house. But, I absolutely cannot bring myself to throw them out. The first thing you have to do is peel, cut, and freeze them. I just throw them in a ziploc bag or a pyrexand throw ‘em in the freezer. Once the icky bananas are frozen, there are lots of ways to go from yucky to yummy:

1. First, and most obvious, is as a sweetener and/or fat replacement in muffins or quick breads. My favorite recipe is for no-sugar added breakfast muffins.

2. Freeze for smoothies — over-ripe bananas work perfectly in my Freezer Smoothies.

3. Chocolate-Covered Bananas – Slice, freeze, drizzle with melted chocolate chips. Yum.

4. Banana Fro-yo — If you’ve seen the ads for those “Yonanas” machines, you know that you can make 1-ingredient fro-yo with JUST bananas. The key is they can’t be excessively overripe. There still needs to be some yellow on the banana or they will come out tasting like ass. Trust me, I learned that the hard way. Just slice, freeze, and blend. Done.

5. Make banana pancakes. Replace the eggs (or half the eggs, according to your taste) with 1/2 cup banana mush for a health and taste boost.

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stellarmom1
by Becca on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I always make banana bread!!

RADmomma
by Sara on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Quoting stellarmom1:

me too

SammiBaby
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:54 AM

That's what I do as well. I hadn't ever really thought of using it for anything else though to be honest. lol Just the banana bread but I really liked the idea of slicing and then freezing to make a banana fro-yo.

Quoting stellarmom1:

jaytee
by Jen on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Me too. That is always what my mom did so that is what I do. I really like the freezing for smoothie idea 

Quoting stellarmom1:

ceciliam
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Great ideas! I love my Yonanas maker!

campingmomof4
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I make banana bread or muffins with my over ripe bananas. 

SammiBaby
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I usually do the same too. It's the easiest to be honest, plus it's just what the ladies in my family have always done with them.

Quoting campingmomof4:

I make banana bread or muffins with my over ripe bananas. 

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:11 PM
I bake with them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jessicasmom1
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:15 AM

banana bread or muffins I like the pancake idea

elasmimi
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:18 AM

I always do the banana bread, if I can keep them in the house long enough. My family loves bananas.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)