Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Meal Solutions Family Meal Solutions

5 Ways To Use Overripe Bananas

Posted by   + Show Post

Bananas are so hit and miss in our house. Either I buy them and they are gone within 24 hours, or they sit on the shelf for days until they look like this. ^

Yuck.

I know there are people who only eat super-ripe bananas, but none of them live in my house. But, I absolutely cannot bring myself to throw them out. The first thing you have to do is peel, cut, and freeze them. I just throw them in a ziploc bag or a pyrexand throw ‘em in the freezer. Once the icky bananas are frozen, there are lots of ways to go from yucky to yummy:

1. First, and most obvious, is as a sweetener and/or fat replacement in muffins or quick breads. My favorite recipe is for no-sugar added breakfast muffins.

2. Freeze for smoothies — over-ripe bananas work perfectly in my Freezer Smoothies.

3. Chocolate-Covered Bananas – Slice, freeze, drizzle with melted chocolate chips. Yum.

4. Banana Fro-yo — If you’ve seen the ads for those “Yonanas” machines, you know that you can make 1-ingredient fro-yo with JUST bananas. The key is they can’t be excessively overripe. There still needs to be some yellow on the banana or they will come out tasting like ass. Trust me, I learned that the hard way. Just slice, freeze, and blend. Done.

5. Make banana pancakes. Replace the eggs (or half the eggs, according to your taste) with 1/2 cup banana mush for a health and taste boost.

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Replies (21-22):
SammiBaby
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I actually have to do the same thing. Buy an over abundance of them so I have enough to actually ripen.

Quoting Heather2001:

This happens to me a lot, too.  I have to really plan ahead and buy a bunch if I want overripe bananas!

Quoting kayelynnesmommy:

My never last long enough to get over ripe :( I have to hide them to make bread if I can but dh usually finds them.

Family4Eternity
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:25 AM

They don't usually last that long here. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN