Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question about "mishmash" casserole

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:01 PM
  • 7 Replies

Not really sure what else to call it, but we are going to start allocating some of the leftovers to the freezer (after DH has his lunch packed for the next day) and every so often, we are going to combine the meats, veggies, grains....now, what would you do as far as seasonings?  We have a variety, but I don't want to make something bland that nobody ends up eating....open for suggestions...

Our first mishmash is actually going to be turkey-bean-vegetable soup made from frozen broth and meat from Thanksgiving :-)  We just had ham-bean soup with the ham leftover from Christmas (some went to leftovers, some went to freezer, and I also froze the ham bone to simmer with the beans).....I wouldn't call the ham-bean a mishmash since it was actually planned, but the turkey soup is going to have bits of this and that added to it....

thanks ladies!

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SammiBaby
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:31 PM

I honestly have no idea on this one but I'm sure some of the ladies in here can really help you out.

SarahMommie
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I always season according to the meat everything I make gets garlic and onion powder salt pepper and if it's meat veg pasta usually that's all if it's Mexican themed cumin chili powder and red pepper flakes sometimes oregano, if it's itailian that I'm going for bay leaf itslianspice and thyme/sage if it's Chinese ginger and or sesame and or wasabi powder I could go on and on ;-) I don't buy anything pre seasoned or pre packaged sounds like you don't either!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Larisa72
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you!!  Our standby spices are minced onion and minced garlic, but we have  Italian, chili powder, seasoned salt...Lord only knows because it's half of a shelf, but it's a little bit of this and a little bit of that.  I just wasn't sure what combinations worked well, so THANK YOU for your post!

No, I don't tend to buy pre-seasoned or pre-packaged....there are some things that I will buy, like the boxed mac and cheese, but that's only because both children are under weight and they can make it themselves - my son has started making a box and having it for lunch, then having the rest as a snack (he's almost 13 and not even 100 lbs yet, mainly due to the medication he has to take).  Once it gets warmer, we'll decrease boxed foods and have him exercising more and cooking from scratch more....yes, both children know how to cook - part of their summer lessons :-)

Thanks again!!

AmosFarkle
by AmyV on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:34 AM

You're a great mama to teach them to cook!  My 2 boys were interested, my dd wasn't.  Now that she's a mom (almost 26) she's regretting that, and calling me a lot....lol!

The only thing I do is freeze whatever is left and turn it into soup or stew.  When it comes to seasonings, I suppose I just throw it all in a pot (usually with some broth or bouillon of some sort) and when it's thawed and getting pretty warm, I taste. 

The best thing I've found is to scoop up a little spoonful and sprinkle a teeny bit of whatever seasoning you're considering on it.  Give it a taste and then you'll know whether to add it to the dish or not.

I'm sure you could also just thaw it all (veggies, meat) and turn it into a casserole or shepherd's pie.  Maybe even a pot pie.

Larisa72
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this

cool thanks!  Not sure why I didn't think about sampling before spicing...brain dead, I suppose....lol...thanks again

wendums1229
by Wendi on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Adobe I use it in almost everything!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AmosFarkle
by AmyV on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

There's something sold at Dollar General here called Soul Food Seasoning.  I know they have it at Wally World, too --- but it's not quite the same.  The df likes it on EVERYTHING.  Well, except dessert....

Quoting wendums1229:

Adobe I use it in almost everything!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)