Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you make comfort food meals that the whole family will enjoy?

Posted by   + Show Post

Getting your kids to eat comfort food meals the whole family will enjoy can be a tough job but it doesn't have to be. We gave 50 CafeMom members a free coupon for Ragu pasta sauce and a Target gift card and asked them to make comfort food meals that the whole family would enjoy. By starting with Ragu and other ingredients that your family loves, you can make a meal for everyone!

Tell us about your busy family. How do you make comfort food meals that the whole family will enjoy?

CafeMom gives moms an opportunity to try our advertisers' products. In return, we ask our moms to share their true experiences and honest opinions. To learn how you can be an influencer, click here.

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Replies (41-50):
dusky_rose
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Is anyone else having a hard time reading this text? It looks compressed to me for some reason.

Quoting skinsfan26:

1 pound spaghetti
Salt
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
3 slices smoky bacon, chopped
1 pound ground sirloin
1 medium onion, chopped
3 to 4 cloves garlic, chopped
Ground black pepper
2 teaspoons hot sauce, eyeball it
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it
1/2 cup beer
1 (14-ounce) can, chopped or crushed fire roasted tomatoes
1 (8-ounces) can, tomato sauce
8 ounces sharp Cheddar
4 scallions, chopped
Heat a pot of water to a boil. Add spaghetti and salt the water. Cook to al dente or with a bite to it.

Heat a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil and bacon. Brown and crisp bacon, 5 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon. Drain off a little excess fat if necessary. Leave just enough to coat the bottom of the skillet. Add beef and crumble it as it browns, 3 to 4 minutes. Add onions, garlic and stir into meat. Season the meat with salt and pepper, hot sauce and Worcestershire. Add 1/2 cup beer and deglaze the pan. Cook 5 to 6 minutes more then stir in tomatoes and tomato sauce.

Add hot spaghetti to meat and sauce and combine. Adjust seasonings and serve up pasta in shallow bowls. Grate some cheese over the pasta and sprinkle with scallions. Garnish with crisp bacon

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

Sounds interesting!

Quoting skinsfan26:

cowboy spaghetti

skinsfan26
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this

oh wow. sorry didnt know it did that. i copied it from my files.i will redo it

edit:http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/cowboy-spaghetti-recipe/index.html  heres the link t the recipe

Quoting dusky_rose:

Is anyone else having a hard time reading this text? It looks compressed to me for some reason.

Quoting skinsfan26:

1 pound spaghetti
Salt
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
3 slices smoky bacon, chopped
1 pound ground sirloin
1 medium onion, chopped
3 to 4 cloves garlic, chopped
Ground black pepper
2 teaspoons hot sauce, eyeball it
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it
1/2 cup beer
1 (14-ounce) can, chopped or crushed fire roasted tomatoes
1 (8-ounces) can, tomato sauce
8 ounces sharp Cheddar
4 scallions, chopped
Heat a pot of water to a boil. Add spaghetti and salt the water. Cook to al dente or with a bite to it.

Heat a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil and bacon. Brown and crisp bacon, 5 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon. Drain off a little excess fat if necessary. Leave just enough to coat the bottom of the skillet. Add beef and crumble it as it browns, 3 to 4 minutes. Add onions, garlic and stir into meat. Season the meat with salt and pepper, hot sauce and Worcestershire. Add 1/2 cup beer and deglaze the pan. Cook 5 to 6 minutes more then stir in tomatoes and tomato sauce.

Add hot spaghetti to meat and sauce and combine. Adjust seasonings and serve up pasta in shallow bowls. Grate some cheese over the pasta and sprinkle with scallions. Garnish with crisp bacon

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

Sounds interesting!

Quoting skinsfan26:

cowboy spaghetti

abra
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I just have to be mindful of any special likes or dislikes in the family. It really isn't that hard. 

LOswald0314
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Anything with pasta will make my family happy.

AmosFarkle
by AmyV on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Hah!  I steered away from liver and just cooked things I was pretty sure they'd like.  They'd give it a *goes in the recipe box/does NOT go in the box* rating.  Since my kids had to eat at least one bite of everything, they weren't picky.

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:09 AM

That is a great idea,might have to start doing that!

Quoting Kmakksmom:

My husband makes things once, and if everyone likes it we save it in a binder for future reference.  Comfort food is always the best. 

MichelleK41
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:01 PM

We use the cheese filled tortellini pasta and bake them in Ragu sauce, and parmesan cheese. Be friendly with the Ragu sauce too so its good and moist. Its easy and all our kiddos love this. Of course you can serve it with cheesy garlic bread and a salad the kiddos like.

Madelaine
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I use the crockpot a lot and freeze meals.

BabyTeki
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:19 PM
Spaghetti is an easy one for our house
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leelee1008
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I didnt sign up for this one in time :(

Spagetti is one of our comfort foods. just like chicken noodle soup or mac n cheese

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)