White Bean Chicken Chili RecipeWhite Bean Chicken Chili Recipe photo by Taste of Home
My sister shared this chili recipe with me. I usually double it and add one extra can of beans, then serve with cheddar biscuits or warmed tortillas. The jalapeno adds just enough heat to notice but not too much for my children. —Kristine Bowles, Albuquerque, New Mexico
This recipe is:
White Bean Chicken Chili Recipe
- Prep: 35 min. Cook: 3 hours
- Yield: 6 Servings
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream and minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in oil for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the onion, garlic and jalapeno; cook 2 minutes longer. Sprinkle with oregano and cumin; cook 1 minute longer or until chicken is browned and vegetables are tender. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mash 1 cup of beans; add 1/2 cup broth and stir until blended. Add to the slow cooker with the remaining beans and broth.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until chicken is tender. Stir before serving. Sprinkle with cheese. Garnish with sour cream and cilantro if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Editor's Note: Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.