Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tofu Wanzi (Fried Tofu and Bacon Fritters)

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:44 PM
  • 4 Replies

China meets the American South in these tofu, bacon, and scallion fritters from Saveur contributor Mei Chin. For three dipping sauces to serve with them, see Green Goddess SauceRoasted Garlic Chipotle Mayonnaise and Soy Chili Sauce. This recipe first appeared in the 2012 SAVEUR 100, with the articleTofu Wanzi.
Tofu Wanzi (Fried Tofu and Bacon Fritters)ENLARGE IMAGECredit: Todd Coleman
MAKES ABOUT 3½ DOZEN

INGREDIENTS

2 (12½-oz.) boxes soft or silken tofu
1 (12½-oz.) box firm tofu
⅔ cup panko bread crumbs
⅓ cup flour
¼ cup sesame oil
5 scallions, finely chopped
4 slices cooked bacon, finely chopped
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
Canola oil, for frying

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Place all the tofu on a bed of about 6 paper towels on a baking sheet and cover with 6 more paper towels and another sheet. Place a cast-iron skillet on sheet to weight it down; let sit until tofu is drained of most of its liquid, at least 6 hours or overnight, in the refrigerator. Transfer pressed tofu to a large bowl; mash coarsely with a fork. Stir in bread crumbs, flour, sesame oil, scallions, bacon, eggs, and salt and pepper until evenly combined.

2. Pour oil to a depth of 2″ in a 6-qt. Dutch oven and heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer reads 350°. Portion 2 tbsp. of the tofu mixture and shape into a miniature football shape using two spoons; repeat with remaining tofu mixture. Fry until golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and serve immediately, with a dipping sauce, if you like.

.....Ophelia Grace...............Mira Lorne...............Jude Bennett.........Liam Daniel Baines.

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Heather2001
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I don't eat tofu, but I love me some bacon!

.Angelica.
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:06 AM

tfs

AmosFarkle
by AmyV on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:27 AM

MMMMmmmmmmmm......slurp......

Reminds me - I need to pick up some tofu anyway.  I recently discovered they make super firm already cubed and Schezuan sauce makes one mean marinade!  I bake it and munch on it like candy.

jaytee
by Jen on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I've never had tofu

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)