Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Meal Solutions Family Meal Solutions

soup help

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:58 PM
  • 26 Replies
Needs easy recipes does anyone have one?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmosFarkle
by AmyV on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I posted my tomato soup, but here it is again:

CREAMY TOMATO SOUP

2 T. butter

1/2 c. chopped onions

1 28oz can crushed tomatoes (actually, you can use whatever you have...diced, whole, stewed)

2 T. Splenda or sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

1/4 tsp. garlic powder

1 c. chicken broth

1 c. 1/2 and 1/2 (I use fat-free to save calories)

SAUTE' onions in butter until soft.  Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil over med-high heat.  Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

Process in batches in blender until smooth, or use an immersible blender.

This won't be as smooth as canned, but it tastes a lot fresher, with a nice texture.

You can also add some chopped basil and oregano to give it an Italian taste.  Some chili power and ground cumin will give it a Mexican flair.

AmosFarkle
by AmyV on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Doug's Split Pea Soup

2 cups of celery, carrots, and onions...start with sauteeing 5 chopped garlic cloves in a bit of olive oil in the kettle you're going to be cooking in, add 2 32 oz containers of chicken broth, 1 lb of split peas, 3 smoked hamhocks, and 3-5 bay leaves. Add a dash of salt and pepper (I add some cayenne). Bring to a boil then reduce and allow to simmer for about an hour, or until the split peas have become, well, no longer split peas. Remove from stove and allow to cool, and remove hamhocks from kettle. Get what meat you can from the hocks and supplement, if you desire, some extra ham (if you get a hock from Whole Foods you probably won't need to). Add the meat, onion, carrot, and celery and simmer for an hour. The End.

AmosFarkle
by AmyV on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Healthy Broccoli-Cheese Soup

INGREDIENTS

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

1 large onion, chopped

1 large carrot, diced

2 stalks celery, diced

1 large potato, peeled and diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 14-ounce cans vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth

8 ounces broccoli crowns, (see Ingredient Note), cut into 1-inch pieces, stems and florets separated

1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese

1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream

1/8 teaspoon salt

PREPARATION

Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot and celery; cook, stirring often, until the onion and celery soften, 5 to 6 minutes. Add potato and garlic; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in flour, dry mustard and cayenne; cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.

Add broth and broccoli stems; bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Stir in florets; simmer, covered, until the broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes more. Transfer 2 cups of the chowder to a bowl and mash; return to the pan.

Stir in Cheddar and sour cream; cook over medium heat, stirring, until the cheese is melted and the chowder is heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt.

TIPS & NOTES

Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 2 months.

AmosFarkle
by AmyV on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Slow Cooked Bean with Bacon Soup

3 cans navy beans, rinsed and drained

1/2 lb bacon, cooked and diced

1 onion, chopped

2 tablespoons oil

1 can chicken broth

1 tablespoon molasses

2 cups milk

Cook onion in oil until tender and slightly browned.

Place cooked onion, chicken broth, beans, bacon, and molasses into a crockpot. Stir well and cook on low for 2-3 hours

Add milk, stir well, and cook 30-40 minutes more or until completely heated through. Salt to taste and serve.

AmosFarkle
by AmyV on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this

MICROWAVE CLAM CHOWDER

4 bacon strips, cut into 1/2" pieces

1 (10-1/2oz) can chopped clams

1 bottle clam juice (see note at bottom)

1-1/2 c. diced peeled potatoes (about 2 medium or 1 large)

1/3 c. chopped onion

1/4 c. minced celery

3 T. finely minced carrots

2 T. all-purpose flour or 2 tsp. cornstarch (if it's not thick enough, you can always add more)

1-1/2 c. milk

3/4 tsp. Old Bay seasoning

1/4 tsp. thyme

1/4 tsp. sage

1 tsp. butter

salt and pepper to taste

IN a covered 2-qt. microwave-safe dish, cook bacon on high for 4-5 min. or until crisp.  Remove with a slotted spoon to drain; set aside. Drain clam juice from the can into the drippings and add the jar of clam juice.  Stir in vegetables, thyme, sage, and Old Bay.  Cover and cook on high for 8-10 min. or until tender, stirring once or twice.

STIR flour or cornstarch into 1/4 c. of the milk; add to potato mixture.  Stir in salt, pepper and remaining milk.  Cover and cook on medium for 6 min., stirring once or twice.  Let stand for 3-5 min.  Stir in clams and butter.

GARNISH with bacon and chopped parsley.  You can also garnish with some shredded cheddar cheese.

Note:  I used heavy cream because I had some and I like my clam chowder thick.  If you don't want to add a lot of calories, fat-free half-and-half would be great.  Milk will make it thinner and you might wish to omit the bottle of clam juice, although it adds a lot of clam flavor.

AmosFarkle
by AmyV on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this

So warming on a brisk Fall day! You can do this on the stovetop, or let it simmer in the crockpot.  When I first read these ingredients, I wasn't too sure if the kids and hubby would like it...but they did!  It became one of those "comfort" dishes.

VEGETABLE-PORK SOUP

1 lb. pork stew meat, cut into 1/2" cubes (boneless chops work fine)

1 T. cooking oil

1/2 c. chopped onion

1 tsp. paprika

3 c. beef broth (use water and base or cubes if you like)

1 c. peeled potatoes cut into 1/2" cubes

1 c. frozen corn

1 c. peeled sweet potatoes cut into 1/2" cubes (winter squash works well, too)

2/3 c. chopped tomato (ah, heck...open a can)

1/2 tsp. garlic salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

1 c. torn fresh spinach

IN a large saucepan brown 1/2 of the meat in hot oil.  Remove; brown remaining meat with the onion and paprika.  Drain fat and return all meat to the saucepan.

ADD broth.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat and cover.  Simmer for 30 min.  Add potatoes, corn, sweet potatoes, tomato, garlic salt and pepper.  Return to a boil; reduce heat.  Cover and simmer 15-20 min. or till veggies are tender.

STIR in the torn spinach.  Simmer 3-5 min.

AmosFarkle
by AmyV on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this

FRENCH ONION SOUP

4 c. thinly sliced onions

1 garlic clove, minced

1/4 c. butter

6 c. water

8 beef bouillon cubes

1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

6 slices French bread (3/4" thick), buttered and toasted

6 slices Swiss cheese (8" x 4")

IN a large covered saucepan, cook onions and garlic in butter over medium-low heat for 8-10 min. or until tender and golden, stirring occasionally.

ADD water, bouillon, and Worcestershire sauce; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 min.

LADLE hot soup into six oven-proof bowls.  Top each with a piece of French bread.  Cut each slice of cheese in half and place both halves over the bread.  Broil until cheese melts.

wendums1229
by Wendi on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Sweet I love mater soup

Quoting AmosFarkle:

CREAMY TOMATO SOUP

2 T. butter

1/2 c. chopped onions

1 28oz can crushed tomatoes (actually, you can use whatever you have...diced, whole, stewed)

2 T. Splenda or sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

1/4 tsp. garlic powder

1 c. chicken broth

SAUTE' onions in butter until soft.  Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil over med-high heat.  Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

This won't be as smooth as canned, but it tastes a lot fresher, with a nice texture.

You can also add some chopped basil and oregano to give it an Italian taste.  Some chili power and ground cumin will give it a Mexican flair.

RADmomma
by Sara on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I do Venice Demillo and baked potato

wendums1229
by Wendi on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:39 AM
I love love pea soup

Quoting AmosFarkle:

CREAMY TOMATO SOUP

2 T. butter

1/2 c. chopped onions

2 T. Splenda or sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

1/4 tsp. garlic powder

1 c. chicken broth

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)