The Ultimate Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe Comes With a Double Surprise Inside
If anyone loves to experiment with snazzy, quirky, offbeat dessert recipes, it's me. I've even got some sprigs of lavender sitting in the fridge waiting to be crushed up into an inventive cookie recipe at some point soon. But then there are times when you just wanna stick with a true classic. Like peanut butter cookies. How can you go wrong, you know? But a more important question: How can you go very, very right? What if you could bake up the ULTIMATE batch?
This recipe, adapted from the official cookbook out of the famed Magnolia Bakery in NYC, promises just that. Armed with the Sex & the City landmark's expertise, you'll be in for a real treat that's crisp on the outside and cakey and ooey-gooey with melty peanut butter chips and chocolate chips on the inside. Heeeeaven!
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup peanut butter at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup peanut butter chips
1/2 cup chocolate chips
For sprinkling: 1 tablespoon sugar, regular or superfine
More from The Stir: Creamy, Dreamy Cake-Filled Peanut Butter Cups
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and peanut butter together until fluffy. Add sugars and beat until smooth. Add egg and mix well. Add milk and vanilla extract. Add flour mixture and beat thoroughly. Stir in peanut butter and chocolate chips.
- Place sprinkling sugar — the remaining tablespoon — on a plate. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls into the sugar, then onto ungreased cookie sheets, leaving several inches between for expansion. Using a fork, lightly indent with a crisss-cross pattern, but do not overly flatten cookies.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Do not overbake. Cookies may appear to be underdone, but they are not.
- Cool the cookies on the sheets for 1 minute, then remove to a rack to cool completely.