Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Meal Solutions Family Meal Solutions

when your child doesn't like whats for dinner

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:22 PM
  • 17 Replies

do you make them eat it any way or fix them smething you know they like and will eat?

do you sometimes like to enjoy a dinner that maybe to spicey for them, etc. even though they can't or won't eat it?

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Noni2319
by Chrissy on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:43 PM
If I'm serving something I know they don't like. I make them an alternative. My oldest doesn't eat tomatoes or anything made from them.

We do sometimes eat things that are too spicy for the little guys. When that happens I split it and only make half spicy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SammiBaby
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:51 PM

If I knowingly make something they don't like then I accomodate them with something else. However, if we've never had it before and they just don't like it then no I don't make anything else.

I haven't really came across this problem yet to be honest. Most things that they haven't liked have been new recipes we haven't been fond of either so they just didn't get added into the recipe book.

AmosFarkle
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:19 AM

I always considered them.  But make them something else?  HAYULL, NO.  Believe me, children won't starve themselves.  If they really hated something, they could eat everything else on their plates (which were always favs) but they had to at least try a new dish.

Thus, I raised non-picky kids.  Kids who could go to friend's house, eat what was in front of them, and be polite.

Here's a good 'un:  I accidentally came upon my dd (teen then) and my df looking at something in the pot on the stove.  

Him:  "What IS that???"

Her:  "I don't know, but if my mom made it you're gonna eat it."

I had to tiptoe away with my hand over my mouth stifling a laugh!

<end of story:  they liked it>

adamsmom0116
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I don't make a separate meal for someone just because they don't like the original meal. However, if I know up front that I'm making something that someone doesn't like, I will plan that meal for a time when I know that person won't be eating - like when they have a ball game or something. If it's a new recipe and they don't like it, they don't have to eat it, but I'm not cooking again. At that point, it's leftovers, sandwich, or cereal!

motamaid
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:52 AM
They get 1 meal to opt out of without having go try some. My DS hates my hommade stromboli. usually will just have a cheese sandwich I'm at night. He hates eggs too but I still make him try a bite everytime we have them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaScho88
by New Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:57 AM

If DH and I are having something too spicy for the kids then I make them something else, depends on what it is because my kids like spicy foods...but other than that, whether they like it or not they are expected to eat it. Usually if I know it's something the kids don't particularly care for I make it when they are not around.

Maries_Mom23
by Alice on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:59 AM

I don't make anything that is too spicy or anything that they wouldn't at least TRY.  If the main dish is something new, I make sure the sides are things they like.  Now,I have a picky 6 year old. She doesn't do sauces and things (she has NEVER had ketchup, no joke).  So, if I'm making a chicken dish in some kind of sauce or gravy, I'll cook her a plain piece of chicken in another pan.  But, I am not a short order cook.  If I make meatloaf tonight (they all like it) and you want me to make chicken nuggets instead, too bad.  :)

txmom-o-3
by Kathy on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:07 AM

I'll go back in time since mine are adults and if they didn't like what I'm cooking I wouldn't care ......lol

When mine were growing up the rule was you had to take at least one bite of everything.  Our taste buds change over time. If I was cooking something that was really spicey, I'd take out a portion of it and make it less spicey (although that was for me because my kids LOVE extra spicey).  I always tried to plan a meal where there was at least 1 thing that each kid liked.  The only time I actually cooked something different would be when I fixed chicken.  I would also cook a few chicken tenders because my son will not eat meat that's on a bone.

Sarah32882
by New Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I will try to get my kids to try a bite of something new if they say they don't like it or if they think it looks gross to them.  It is fine that they don't like it after tasting it. They can eat leftovers, a sandwich, sides, or something that can be microwaved. They both like spicy foods but my DH doesn't.

AmosFarkle
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:38 AM

high five Mine are all grown, too.  We must've grown up in the same era.  LOL

Quoting txmom-o-3:

I'll go back in time since mine are adults and if they didn't like what I'm cooking I wouldn't care ......lol

When mine were growing up the rule was you had to take at least one bite of everything.  Our taste buds change over time. If I was cooking something that was really spicey, I'd take out a portion of it and make it less spicey (although that was for me because my kids LOVE extra spicey).  I always tried to plan a meal where there was at least 1 thing that each kid liked.  The only time I actually cooked something different would be when I fixed chicken.  I would also cook a few chicken tenders because my son will not eat meat that's on a bone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)