Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Meal Solutions Family Meal Solutions

when your child doesn't like whats for dinner

Posted by   + Show Post

do you make them eat it any way or fix them smething you know they like and will eat?

do you sometimes like to enjoy a dinner that maybe to spicey for them, etc. even though they can't or won't eat it?

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Replies (11-17):
AmosFarkle
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:40 AM

By the way, I LOVE the fact that most of you make them eat a bite.  Whoever said tastebuds change is right!  When I was little, I hated peas.  And tomatoes.  And watermelon (or any melon....go figure).  Not to mention liver!

Now I could make a meal of all of the above and be very, very happy!

(I had some "chicken-fried" liver at this little soul food place in Nash-Vegas and it was AWESOME.  MMMmmmmmmmm)

1lv2stks3nlz4ev
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I don't change the meal BUT I will tailor it to accomidate people. My DF LOVES extra spicy food... I do not. MY DS likes kinda spicy and my DSD likes a little more spicy than that. So I will cook myself say chicken in bbq sauce seperately from their spicy chicken and salsa with jalepenos and for DF a couple serano slices. DSD and DF do not like dark meat or meat on the bone so we usually have chicken breasts but if I catch thighs/legs on sale I will make sure we have a couple breasts as well and cook a combination of the two. Veggies.... there are some my DS wont eat and some my DSD won't eat but there is always a salad included with the meal so they have to eat one or the other. 

When the kids were little they had to try one bite, but my DS has processing issues and some foods wouldn't even touch his lips because of their texture. He eats them now, but not then. I just learned what he would eat and made meals out of that.... mind you back then it was just him and I. He still to this day does not like ketchup on his plate and doesn't like his food to touch. I learned to not make eating a battle ground because it sets them up for future issues with food. My picky DS who at one point would ONLY eat hotdogs, cheese slices and apple slices for lunch and dinner and oatmeal for breakfast eats non stop and just about anything I put in front of him.

veraxaudeo
by Ashley Nicole on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:28 AM
My only child is 13 months old, so we run into this a lot. I always make him something else if he's hungry and didn't like what I made.
But when he gets a little older, no, I won't cook something else for him. He'll be required to at least try something and if he doesn't like, then he can make himself a sandwich, a bowl of cereal or reheat some leftovers.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AmosFarkle
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Hey, 1lv...your kid must be kin to my brother.  Nothing can touch each other on the plate, and he ate each thing one at a time.  Like, all of his corn.  Then all of his meat.  Then all of his green beans.  Wouldn't mix any bites at all.  I'm the opposite.

I don't think requiring a kid to try a bite is setting them up for issues, but you know your child.  Parents usually know best, yanno.

SarahMommie
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Same in my house

Quoting adamsmom0116:

I don't make a separate meal for someone just because they don't like the original meal. However, if I know up front that I'm making something that someone doesn't like, I will plan that meal for a time when I know that person won't be eating - like when they have a ball game or something. If it's a new recipe and they don't like it, they don't have to eat it, but I'm not cooking again. At that point, it's leftovers, sandwich, or cereal!

RADmomma
by Sara on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:06 AM
I'm the odd one out.

I make separate meals for Rae. She doesn't like beef, tomato sauce, ketchup anything spicy and so much more. She loves fruit, veggies& salad. I do make her try new things but she is alot like me. We love chicken & other bland foods. She is almost 6 and had eaten the same things since day one even though she tries new things often. She does have texture issues with food & things.

I have homemade chicken nuggets precooked & frozen on hand all the time. So if she doesn't like the main dish she can pop some nuggets in the oven to heat through & have that with our sides.

I'm not going to make her go hungry, she would rather go to bed early with no dinner than eat beef or a few other things. She truly does not like it, why force it?

Dolphins823
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:13 AM

make sure to prepare something special for your child incase what you cooked is not what she likes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)