Homemade Apple Pie Candy Apple Recipe Will Blow Your Mind
When the weather gets warmer, we tend to see the same desserts over and over. And while they're incredibly delicious (I mean, seriously, who doesn't like ice cream?), we ought to mix it up a bit. These Homemade Apple Pie Candy Apples are the perfect thing to bring to a barbecue or party when you just can't stomach another Flying Saucer.
And the best part? They're incredibly fun to make with the kids!
Homemade Apple Pie Candy Apple adapted from The Cooking of Joy
- 1 apple, washed and dried
- 10 pieces of caramel
- 2 oz. white candy melts
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 dashes cinnamon
1. Remove the apple stem if necessary and insert a popsicle stick down the core. Put in the apple in the freezer for at least 5 minutes but no more than 15 minutes to chill.
2. Unwrap the caramels and put them in a small microwave-safe bowl along with 1 teaspoon of water. Melt the caramel in the microwave at 50% power for one minute. Remove from microwave and stir. If the caramel is not completely melted, microwave again at 50% power for another 20 seconds.
3. Dip the apple into the melted caramel, using a spoon if necessary to get the caramel up the sides. Once the apple is covered, place on a greased plate and return to the freezer to chill.
4. In another small microwave-safe bowl, melt the white candy melts in the microwave using the defrost option. Remove from microwave and stir. If not completely melted, return to microwave and defrost for another 30 seconds.
5. On a small plate, mix the brown sugar and cinnamon, making sure to crumble any lumps.
6. Once the caramel on the apple is not sticky anymore, remove from the freezer. If necessary, try to push any caramel that has pooled to the bottom back onto the apple. Dip in the white candy melts, using a spoon if necessary to get the candy up the sides.
7. Before the white candy sets, roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Place the apple in the refrigerator for a few minutes to allow the white candy to harden.
8. To serve, make 2 parallel slices almost all the way down both sides of the core, leaving the bottom 1/4" intact. Rotate 90 degrees and make 2 more similar parallel slices to give you 8 slices you can break off and the core in the middle.