Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Meal Solutions Family Meal Solutions

Zucchini Pancakes -update 7/4/13

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:16 PM
  • 13 Replies

I received some freshly picked zucchini from a neighbor and we steamed half of it and loved it but I have about 7 left and my daughter was asking about zucchini pancakes. She found a recipe in an old kids cookbook we found at a yard sale and she wants to try them. Has anyone ever done them? If so did you have younger children (3 yr old , 15 yr old, and 17 yr old - the 7 month old is still little young for them) and did they like them???

I dont want to waste such beautiful veggies on something they wont or even we (as adults) wont like.

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Noni2319
by Chrissy on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I've never tried zucchini pancakes.

model1000mom
by New Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I can not find anyone who has! I think we will just try it and hope for the best. I will let you know how it was recieved after dinner tomorrow! :o)

Quoting Noni2319:

I've never tried zucchini pancakes.

AmosFarkle
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I haven't, but I just saved this from another group and I'm sure you could sub zucchini for the summer squash:

2 cups cooked shredded squash (from 3 1/2 yellow squash)

1 egg

1 egg white

2/3 cup flour

1/2 tsp baking powder

1 clove garlic, crushed

1/3 cup parmesan cheese

3 tbsp fresh chopped chives

1/2 tsp kosher salt

pinch fresh cracked pepper

olive oil spray (I used my Misto)

Directions:

Add squash to a medium pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cover; cook until soft. When soft, drain; add to food processor and pulse a few times until chopped. Add 2 cups of squash to a medium bowl. Combine squash with remaining ingredients except oil and mix well.

(Didn't copy the rest, but you'd fry them in an appropriate pancake size in the oil in a skillet.)

model1000mom
by New Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

So my daughter made them last night and they were delicious! The kids ate every single one of them including the 3 year old which was amazing! They are exactly like the squash recipe above except you use shredded zucchini and you dabble some sour cream on them and wahlah!!!

(They tatsted better than the photo portrays lol) 

baking

AmosFarkle
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I can almost taste them through the screen.  Drool.  Awesome...now I know to keep that recipe.  Thanks! 

model1000mom
by New Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I lightly salted mine with celery salt instead regular salt which made it even better. =)

Quoting AmosFarkle:

I can almost taste them through the screen.  Drool.  Awesome...now I know to keep that recipe.  Thanks! 

AmosFarkle
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Tell me - did your recipe say to boil the shredded squash until soft? Somehow, I kinda think you could salt it a bit in a colander and let it soften and drain.  Then you rinse the salt off.  I'm thinking I might want the squash a little more "al dente", yanno?  Lightly pulsed in the processor (or well chopped on a board). Since you tried it, share you opinion please!

Just scratchin' my head and thinking (which is hard when you have old age dementia)...

confusedgrandma

model1000mom
by New Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 1:26 PM

My daughter said she shredded it in the processor and she said it didnt mention boiling it. She left it as is (al dente) and because she does not like salt she didnt add any salt ("natural" - It softened and lost no natural flavor while she said she was lightly frying them - oh and she also used grape-seed oil instead of olive or vegi oil) 

Quoting AmosFarkle:

Tell me - did your recipe say to boil the shredded squash until soft? Somehow, I kinda think you could salt it a bit in a colander and let it soften and drain.  Then you rinse the salt off.  I'm thinking I might want the squash a little more "al dente", yanno?  Lightly pulsed in the processor (or well chopped on a board). Since you tried it, share you opinion please!

Just scratchin' my head and thinking (which is hard when you have old age dementia)...

confusedgrandma

AmosFarkle
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Cool!  Now all I have to do is hint for someone to share some squash from their garden.  I'm using safflower oil right now.

k9l1c5
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Mmmm, I will definitely make these!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN