Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Meal Solutions Family Meal Solutions

What inspires you to cook healthy meals for your family?

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:06 AM
  • 116 Replies

We want to hear what really inspires you to cook those healthy meals for your family. Tell us why you cook the foods you cook. 

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shishie
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:06 AM
I am a type 2 diabetic. I have been keeping it under control with diet and exercise. I want my children to be healthy, so what we eat is extremely important. They do not like me all of the time because of the culinary choices that I make . I try to keep the refined sugars to a minimum. We eat brown rice, quinoa , whole wheat pasta and bread. I try to keep the portions of vegetables and fruit between 5-7 per day. We mostly eat turkey, fish and chicken. Red meat and pork are a rarity, although my daughter tends to believe that bacon is a food group all unto itself.
kcangel63
I have a large family. We are 2 adults, 8 kids, and one more on the way. I have been working hard to teach my children proper eating and healthy habits. I admit, we have sweets once in a while. I've worked hard the last few months to lose weight, and by doing so I have been eating a lot healthier.

I cook from scratch 90% of the time. I enjoy giving my kids fresh fruits and vegetables. They love salads! We've really cut down on meat, eating it once or twice a week.

It's been hard for me, at first anyway. However, I know it's completely worth it in the long run.
ambermario4ever

I want myself as well as my family to be healthy. I cook healthy meals five to six nights a week. We all really enjoy baked or grilled chicken.

Wish2Be

Obesity runs very badly throughout DH and my family...in face DH and I are both obese and we dont want that for our son. DH also has Type 2 Diabetes and so does most of his family and my mother. If we dont change now there is a hard future that awaits our son.

Even now I find it hard to refraine from eating the things that bring me comfort, but it inspires me to find healthier ways to make my comfort foods :)

I cook every single day ! Our favorite thing recently is the Farmhouse Italian and Herbs marinated grilled chicken with black beans and rice. 

Before we found out about the Italian dressing it was Taco Salad without the chips. Just lettuce, seasoned taco beef, tomatoes, onions, sour cream, and salsa ! :)

suziejax

What inspires me to cook healthy meals every day  for my family is I want us to all be together as long as possible! Healthier is better. But we also love taste so we balance the both! One of our favorite tasty meals we love to make together is homemade vegetable beef soup. My recipe is here.

weberbaby
by New Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:06 AM

My family and I love to cook.  My oldest two kids are 5 and 2 and they love to be helpful in the kitchen.  We try and make at least one healthy dish and one easy dish per meal.

LS1030

We are not always the healthiest eaters and we love to splurge on food during vacations and to try new places, so that is what inspires us to have healthier meals on a daily basis, so that we can enjoy the splurges when they happen! I want us to be together and healthy as long as possible! We enjoy salads, sweet potatoes/sweet potato fries and chicken...with different marinades, breading or dipping sauces to mix it up. 

momma-flynn
We are not always the healthiest when it comes to food but we are working towards better eating habits. My husband is having some health issues that a better diet will help & I want to keep our family healthy & alive. I have made major changes in the past month. I haven't used butter once (huge step for me) & am using mainly chicken & fish. We are eating a lot of fresh vegetables as well.
sweetheart4171
by New Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I cook for my family practically everyday a healthy meal.  These meals always include some sort of poulty or beef (not all the time), and lots of veggies.  I do this because I want to see my children grow up healthy, strong, and vibrant plus I love for my hubby to stick around for awhile.  Two of my children are active in sports and I know they need these healthy meals to keep their energy strong. 

Jules_

I enjoy cooking for my family and trying out new recipes.  I strive to have nutritious meals and teach them the importance of eating healthy and staying active. I meal plan and plan on average 6 meals a week, once a week we eat at our church. One of our kids favorite meals is baked or grilled chicken.  My oldest daughter really enjoys fish, now if only I could get use to the taste.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)