Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Meal Solutions Family Meal Solutions

Best Southern Fried Chicken

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:51 AM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

I know I've probably posted this before, but since it's picnic season I thought I'd post again.  I'm a born-and-bred Southern girl and the cooking is filled with love and ... it's hard to explain ... just has some kind of special down-home feeling.

So, here's how you make it done and juicy inside, and yet crispy outside.  Without needing a deep fryer.

BEST SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN

3 qts. water

1 T. salt

1 (2- to 2-1/2 lb) broiler-fryer, cut up (or the equivalent of your favorite pieces)

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. pepper

1 c. all-purpose flour

2 c. vegetable oil

1/4 c. bacon drippings

COMBINE 3 qts. water and 1 T. salt in a lg. bowl; add chicken.  Cover and chill 8 hrs.  Drain chicken; rinse with cold water, and pat dry.

COMBINE 1 tsp. salt and pepper ; sprinkle half of mixture over chicken.  Combine remaining salt and pepper mixture and flour in a large heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag. (A brown paper bag will work, too.) Place 2 pieces of chicken in bag; seal.  Shake to coat. Remove chicken; repeat procedure with remaining chicken, 2 pieces at a time.

COMBINE vegetable oil and bacon drippings in a 12" cast-iron skillet; heat to 360 degrees.  Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, skin side down.  Do not crowd.  Cover and cook 6 min.  Uncover and cook 9 min.

TURN chicken pieces; cover and cook 6 min.  Uncover and cook 5-9 min., turning pieces during the last 3 min. for even browning, if necessary.  Drain chicken on paper towels or rack; keep warm.

NOTE:  For best results, keep the oil temperature between 300 and 325 degrees.  You may substitute 2 c. buttermilk for the saltwater solution.

by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Noni2319
by Chrissy on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I need to remember to try this at some point. It sounds really good.

mikemantha
by Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:46 PM

OMG sounds sooooooooo yyyyuuuuuummmmmyyyyyyyy 

Hottmomma607
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Sounds good!
I use to do egg batter,water, season let it soak&splash of hotsauce. Season the flour.
But I just use Louisiana chicken fry.I still season it. And DH is from Louisiana he said it takes great! And it cuts cooking down!
Bribriesmom
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Have you ever tried Lawry's Seasoned salt, garlic salt or powder & pepper. No salt of course to season your chicken. It gives it more flavor.
AmosFarkle
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:54 PM

To me, the seasonings are up for grabs!  It's the cover/uncover timing that makes a huge difference in the done-but-juicy-and-stays-crispy thing.

k9l1c5
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Mmmm, sounds delicious!

Bribriesmom
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM
I agree, not everyone can make fried chicken.

Quoting AmosFarkle:

To me, the seasonings are up for grabs!  It's the cover/uncover timing that makes a huge difference in the done-but-juicy-and-stays-crispy thing.

AmosFarkle
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 7:39 AM

And the opinions about it are as varied as whose mom makes the best coleslaw and potato salad.  LOL

Quoting Bribriesmom:

I agree, not everyone can make fried chicken.

Quoting AmosFarkle:

conweis
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I love fried chicken

othermom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Souds tasty

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN