Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Meal Solutions Family Meal Solutions

Best Southern Fried Chicken

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:51 AM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

I know I've probably posted this before, but since it's picnic season I thought I'd post again.  I'm a born-and-bred Southern girl and the cooking is filled with love and ... it's hard to explain ... just has some kind of special down-home feeling.

So, here's how you make it done and juicy inside, and yet crispy outside.  Without needing a deep fryer.

BEST SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN

3 qts. water

1 T. salt

1 (2- to 2-1/2 lb) broiler-fryer, cut up (or the equivalent of your favorite pieces)

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. pepper

1 c. all-purpose flour

2 c. vegetable oil

1/4 c. bacon drippings

COMBINE 3 qts. water and 1 T. salt in a lg. bowl; add chicken.  Cover and chill 8 hrs.  Drain chicken; rinse with cold water, and pat dry.

COMBINE 1 tsp. salt and pepper ; sprinkle half of mixture over chicken.  Combine remaining salt and pepper mixture and flour in a large heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag. (A brown paper bag will work, too.) Place 2 pieces of chicken in bag; seal.  Shake to coat. Remove chicken; repeat procedure with remaining chicken, 2 pieces at a time.

COMBINE vegetable oil and bacon drippings in a 12" cast-iron skillet; heat to 360 degrees.  Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, skin side down.  Do not crowd.  Cover and cook 6 min.  Uncover and cook 9 min.

TURN chicken pieces; cover and cook 6 min.  Uncover and cook 5-9 min., turning pieces during the last 3 min. for even browning, if necessary.  Drain chicken on paper towels or rack; keep warm.

NOTE:  For best results, keep the oil temperature between 300 and 325 degrees.  You may substitute 2 c. buttermilk for the saltwater solution.

by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Noni2319
by Chrissy on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I need to remember to try this at some point. It sounds really good.

mikemantha
by Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:46 PM

OMG sounds sooooooooo yyyyuuuuuummmmmyyyyyyyy 

Hottmomma607
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Sounds good!
I use to do egg batter,water, season let it soak&splash of hotsauce. Season the flour.
But I just use Louisiana chicken fry.I still season it. And DH is from Louisiana he said it takes great! And it cuts cooking down!
Bribriesmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Have you ever tried Lawry's Seasoned salt, garlic salt or powder & pepper. No salt of course to season your chicken. It gives it more flavor.
AmosFarkle
by AmyV on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:54 PM

To me, the seasonings are up for grabs!  It's the cover/uncover timing that makes a huge difference in the done-but-juicy-and-stays-crispy thing.

k9l1c5
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Mmmm, sounds delicious!

Bribriesmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM
I agree, not everyone can make fried chicken.

Quoting AmosFarkle:

To me, the seasonings are up for grabs!  It's the cover/uncover timing that makes a huge difference in the done-but-juicy-and-stays-crispy thing.

AmosFarkle
by AmyV on Aug. 2, 2013 at 7:39 AM

And the opinions about it are as varied as whose mom makes the best coleslaw and potato salad.  LOL

Quoting Bribriesmom:

I agree, not everyone can make fried chicken.

Quoting AmosFarkle:

conweis
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I love fried chicken

othermom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Souds tasty

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)