Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dietary restrictions

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 7:04 AM
  • 14 Replies

I've noticed a couple of ladies in the group follow certain dietary restrictions.

Do you?  If so, what restrictions do you have, and why?  Do you find it challenging to make meals that accommodate the restrictions? 

by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 7:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OliviaW.
by Olivia on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:25 AM

I don't but my ds and dh do. I use lactose free milk and cheese when cooking. Plus there are other ways to get the calium that your body needs. 

michiganmom116
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Quoting OliviaW.:

I don't but my ds and dh do. I use lactose free milk and cheese when cooking. Plus there are other ways to get the calium that your body needs. 

What other ways do you use to get calcium?

SweetLuci
by Luci on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a food intolerance to hot peppers and horseradish, not a problem eating at home, I put them on the side for dh & dgd who both like them. It's sometimes a problem eating out, I tell the waiter I'm allergic because they don't understand food intolerance (similar to someone being lactose intolerant) but more and more they do understand allergies. Except I will taste the peppers and then it has to go back , and they say, "well, it's not really spicy". I didn't ask if it was spicy, I said I'm alergic to hot peppers. It is getting better, and now I tell the server to ask the chef if there are any peppers in what I ordered, and that works out well. It used to not be a problem, I didn't really have to say anything, I just didn't order things that traditionally contained hot peppers, but now more people enjoy spicy food, and chefs like to experiment,  so it could be in anything.

Dgd & I both have a food intolerance to melons, which isn't  problem to avoid, when we eat out she will often order fruit and we just ask them to eliminate any melon, or if we get it as a garnish on a plate, dh will eat it.

OliviaW.
by Olivia on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Dark green veggies like kale, spinach, and broccilo; seeds, nuts, herbs and tofu. This is just a few things but there are several. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting OliviaW.:

What other ways do you use to get calcium?

gmadiane
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I dont

KaylaMillar
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I do not. No one in the family does that I know of
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I choose to not eat grains and legumes.  However, I have found that I don't tolerate things made with grains very well....just give me a couple of bites of pizza with crust and I'll have severe stomach cramps.

conweis
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Both SO and I have restricted diets...
I have a list of foods I cannot eat or have to be prepared a certain way
Nothing fried
No red meats
No citrus or acidic foods
No whole wheat or whole grain
All vegetables have to be cooked
No nuts
No corn
No spicy peppers

My SO is on a calorie restricted diet

Yes it is extremely hard to fix foods. Most of the time I will have to compromise my diet because we cannot afford it. I suffer for it. 

michiganmom116
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Restricted for health reasons?

Quoting conweis:

Nothing fried
No red meats
No nuts
No corn
No spicy peppers

Yes it is extremely hard to fix foods. Most of the time I will have to compromise my diet because we cannot afford it. I suffer for it. 

conweis
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Yes. I am unable to digest and absorb foods properly.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Restricted for health reasons?

Quoting conweis:

Nothing fried
No red meats
No nuts
No corn
No spicy peppers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)