Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Meal Solutions Family Meal Solutions

mashed potato help!!

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 2:47 AM
  • 37 Replies
What's the best way to make mashed potato mines ok but I just want some suggestions and ideas??
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 2:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bhwrn1
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 5:41 AM

I peal the potatoes and cube them. Boil until fork tender (I usually salt the water a bit). Then I use butter and milk while mashing until smooth.

hilltopnana
by New Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:36 AM

use evaporated milk makes them creammy and delish.and butter.lol

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:56 AM
This is what I do too.

Quoting bhwrn1:

I peal the potatoes and cube them. Boil until fork tender (I usually salt the water a bit). Then I use butter and milk while mashing until smooth.

thriftymom35
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:58 AM
Quoting Noni2319: This is what I do too.

Quoting bhwrn1:

This but I use parkay and milk, and I use a mixer to blend.......
wickedfunmom
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:01 AM

I peel the potatoes and cube them and boil them until they fall apart when you poke them with a fork. Then I drain them (reserve 1 cup of that water to add later) and put them back in the pot on the stove on low heat while I mash them. (This gets rid of any excess moisture) Once they are mashed remove from heat and add 1 stick of softened butter and 8 oz softened cream cheese. Gradually stir in reserved water. Mix well. Add salt to taste. 

othermom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Lots of butter, a little milk to make them smooth while mashing them. Maybe a a little salt and some other seasonings. Red potatos make great mashed potatos

joshsgirl12
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:01 AM
Sour cream
VirgoMom07
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:04 AM
I use butter, sour cream, milk, and lawry's seasoned salt. So healthy, right? Lol
SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Mashed Potatoes

6-8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into large (2”x2”) pieces

1 cup half & half

½ stick butter

½ teaspoon seasoning salt

¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Place potatoes in saucepan with water to just cover. Add about 2 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and cook about 20 minutes or until potatoes can be pierced with a fork. Drain and save some of the liquid to use in gravy, if making, otherwise discard. Use hand mixer or ricer to mix potatoes. Add butter and mix, then add half & half . Mix to blend. Adding more half & half as needed. Taste and add salt & pepper as needed. 

A few tricks to make them taste great. When you drain the water, place the pan back on the burner for just a minute or so to dry up any remaining moisture. Then add butter and mash potatoes, I like to use a hand mixer for this. By adding the butter first, it coats every bit of potato. Then add Half & Half or whole milk. Using low fat milk will give it a more watery texture and taste. Add salt & pepper to taste. Lawrey's seasoned salt is a good addition, as is garlic salt instead of regular salt. You can also add garlic cloves to the water you boil the potatoes in, and just mash everything together. Using chicken broth instead of water also gives a good flavor. Using real butter and Half & Half makes a big difference in the taste. Adding sour cream or cream cheese is also good.

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:15 AM

I wash up some russet potatoes, prick them, and microwave till tender.  Let cool.  Peel, mash, season with sea salt or table salt, serve. 

When I use instant, I buy dinner size pouch - already seasoned.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)