Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Meal Solutions Family Meal Solutions

2 Artichokes, new to veggie, need ideas

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 5:47 PM
  • 13 Replies

I recieved these 2 artichokes for free. I have never prepared them before. I have looked online for some ideas, but i was wonderding if anyone have their own personal yummy ideas what I can make out of them. 

Thanks. 

by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Noni2319
by Chrissy on Mar. 16, 2014 at 5:50 PM
I've never used them.
KaylaMillar
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 6:12 PM
I do ever but fresh artichoke. It's not something I ever think to buy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kimberly954
by Kim on Mar. 16, 2014 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this

ARtichoke intimidates me! haha. I have never made them but i do love spinach artichoke dip

brvdsmom
by Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 8:40 PM
Cut the top off and any sharp tips put a steamer in a pot of boiling water and steam them for about an hour, until the leaves pull out easily. We dip in mayo, when you get to the fuzzy choke part inside throw that away, just scoop it out of the heart. The heart is the best part!
Whereismymind
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 8:51 PM
This,lol. I would look up a spinach artichoke dip recipe with some bread? Yumm!!

Quoting Kimberly954:

ARtichoke intimidates me! haha. I have never made them but i do love spinach artichoke dip

bhwrn1
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 5:37 AM

All I know is to boil or steam them until tender and then eat the edges of the leaves. You have to make sure you remove the choke, though, the hairy part.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 17, 2014 at 9:22 AM

How to Cook and Eat an Artichoke

• Prep time: 5 minutes
  • Cook time: 35 minutes

Method

How to Cook an Artichoke

1. If the artichokes have little thorns on the end of the leaves, take a kitchen scissors and cut of the thorned tips of all of the leaves. This step is mostly for aesthetics as the thorns soften with cooking and pose no threat to the person eating the artichoke.

artichoke-1.jpg artichoke-2.jpg

2. Slice about 3/4 inch to an inch off the tip of the artichoke.

3. Pull off any smaller leaves towards the base and on the stem.

4. Cut excess stem, leaving up to an inch on the artichoke. The stems tend to be more bitter than the rest of the artichoke, but some people like to eat them. Alternatively you can cut off the stems and peel the outside layers which is more fibrous and bitter and cook the stems along with the artichokes.

5. Rinse the artichokes in running cold water.

artichoke-3.jpg6. In a large pot, put a couple inches of water, a clove of garlic, a slice of lemon, and a bay leaf (this adds wonderful flavor to the artichokes). Insert a steaming basket. Add the artichokes. Cover. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 25 to 45 minutes or until the outer leaves can easily be pulled off. Note: artichokes can also be cooked in a pressure cooker (about 15-20 minutes cooking time). Cooking time depends on how large the artichoke is, the larger, the longer it takes to cook.

How to Eat an Artichoke

Artichokes may be eaten cold or hot, but I think they are much better hot. They are served with a dip, either melted butter or mayonaise. My favorite dip is mayo with a little bit of balsamic vinegar mixed in.

1. Pull off outer petals, one at a time.

artichoke-5.jpg artichoke-4.jpg

2. Dip white fleshy end in melted butter or sauce. Tightly grip the other end of the petal. Place in mouth, dip side down, and pull through teeth to remove soft, pulpy, delicious portion of the petal. Discard remaining petal.

artichoke-10.jpg artichoke-11.jpg

Continue until all of the petals are removed.

artichoke-6.jpg artichoke-7.jpg

3. With a knife or spoon, scrape out and discard the inedible fuzzy part (called the "choke") covering the artichoke heart. The remaining bottom of the artichoke is the heart. Cut into pieces and dip into sauce to eat. My favorite artichoke dipping sauce? Some mayonnaise with a little balsamic vinegar stirred in. Others like dipping artichoke leaves and heart into melted butter.

artichoke-8.jpg artichoke-9.jpg

SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 17, 2014 at 9:24 AM

You don't have to trim the artichokes if you don't want to, it just looks prettier.

othermom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Never used them before

KamsOne
by Jen on Mar. 17, 2014 at 2:01 PM

I've only ever cooked with artichoke hearts.  Never a whole one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)