Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Meal Solutions Family Meal Solutions

Do you offer an alternative

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 9:33 AM
  • 57 Replies
To dinner for picky eaters like pb&j or toast ect
Or it's eat what we have or wait until breakfast ....
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:08 AM

If you knowingly make something that your family does not like ... Yes, by all means - have a back-up plan. 

If they turn up their noses at everything, they should be as picky about breakfast ??? 

FIREFOX1336
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:12 AM
Normally it's a "too bad this is what's for dinner" the only exception is if I have someone else's kids here, which isn't often. For example I was watching my friends kids so they could have a date, so I made an kid friendly choice that my kids normally don't get.
othermom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:51 AM

No we don't, they get what we serve. We usually try to make sure their is something on the plate that they like and I give small portions, so they can eat some of it. If they choose not to eat, then  they wait till breakfast

fostermommy1
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Nope, I don't.  But I do make sure that is at least a couple items as part of the meal that I know FD1 likes.  That way there is food for her.  And she has to at least try what she says she doesn't like.  I mean, she's 2, she doesn't always know what she likes and doesn't because she hasn't tried it.

the.lilangel
by New Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Most of the time no, they get what I make. If DH and I want something that the kids truly do no like or can't handle, like hot wings, we like them really hot and the kids can't handle them that hot, then yes I will make them something else that night. Most of the time though when they are just being picky and have eaten what I've made before with no issues, they either eat it or they get nothing until the next meal.

OliviaW.
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:58 AM

There's only a option if I make something new or make something I know they'll not eat.

Beachdeprived
by Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 11:22 AM

My 12 year old DD is picky... I figure she'll try something if she wants. There are many meals I make that she won't try and if that's the case, I will make her something as long as its quick and easy. I must admit if I had mutliple children, I probably woundn't do that but with one....it's not bad. I remember wanting to vomit at the table when I was forced to eat things I didn't like... to me, it's not worth it.

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Mar. 28, 2014 at 12:09 PM
It depends. Normally you eat what is being served. But my oldest doesn't like tomatoes or anything made from them. So I will make something else for him on those days. I don't make them eat anything they truly don't like but if I gave into all the picky ness he'd only eat like 4 different things.
Whereismymind
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 1:08 PM
This is the same for our house

Quoting OliviaW.:

There's only a option if I make something new or make something I know they'll not eat.

Whereismymind
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol, sounds like my 5 year old ;)

Quoting Noni2319: It depends. Normally you eat what is being served. But my oldest doesn't like tomatoes or anything made from them. So I will make something else for him on those days. I don't make them eat anything they truly don't like but if I gave into all the picky ness he'd only eat like 4 different things.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)