Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Meal Solutions Family Meal Solutions

Is beef becoming a luxury item for you?

Posted by   + Show Post

Beef prices are expected to increase as much as 10% by summer, leading beef producers and sellers to worry that their product might become a luxury.

Retail beef prices have risen by an average of $1 per pound since 2007. Prices for cattle have jumped by as much as 25% in the past two years as the nation's herd dropped to its lowest level in six decades while foreign export demand boomed.

"The cattle producers are caught between a rock and a hard place," Sweeney said. "The price of corn is high, so cattle producers can't afford to keep as many animals. So you have fewer animals and high demand, and that creates high prices."

Corn prices have averaged $7 per bushel in the past 12 months.

Wages for working people haven't kept up enough, so they can't afford good beef cuts.

Signs of weakening demand for beef have shown up in recent weeks.

Beef's rivals in the protein business, pork and poultry, can reproduce and grow their animal herds much faster so attractive prices mean that the competition for the protein dollar has become fierce.

Chicken prices have reached record levels. But are still cheaper than beef.

How has this affected you? Are you stocking up on beef and freezing it, or using more chicken or what?

by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 7:49 AM
Replies (41-44):
la_bella_vita
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 7:30 PM

We eat chicken the most, we are not big beef eaters.

bjv0402
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 6:26 AM

It's really affecting us. We've recently had a drop in income and I dont see that changing anytime soon. Before the drop, we were already pinching pennies and I was serving less meat, but we still had the meat. The past two months, when grocery shopping, I've purchased more canned tuna, chicken and eggs for protein. Dh does not like this, but it cant be helped. I really like meat too...and do miss it. It just seems everything in the grocery store is going up, not just meat. :(

tanyainmizzou
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 10:35 AM
After 22 years of not eating beef or pork, I recently put beef back into our diet.

I haven't known the cost of it for a long time. I buy it from a farmer at our local farmer's market.

I bought a roast and a couple of boneless ribeyes. I think it was around 50 dollars but I made 6 meals out of them and still have pot roast in the freezer for making sandwiches.
4HMomto3
by on May. 2, 2014 at 11:16 AM

I rarely buy beef anymore. Ground beef is up to $4 a pound around here and it drives me nuts.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN