Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Meal Solutions Family Meal Solutions

Coney Island Chili Dog Sauce

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:56 AM
  • 11 Replies

When was the last time you had a chili dog?

Coney Island Chili Dog Sauce

½-3/4 lb ground beef

1 small onion, finely diced

1 (14 ½ oz) can Hunt's fire-roasted diced tomatoes or 1 cup ketchup + 1/3 cup water

1 cup chili sauce (Del Monte or Heinz-this is not hot sauce-looks like a ketchup jar)

2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp of beef paste bouillon or 2 cubes of beef bouillon

2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp of seasoned salt
1 teaspoon allspice

1 teaspoon cumin

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp prepared mustard

Couple grinds of black pepper

½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)

1 can pinto or kidney beans (optional)

(optional at last tasting - pepper sauce - Tabasco or your choice, Frank's is good but neither is necessary)

Crumble ground meat in large saucepan, add onion and 1 cup water, or enough to cover, salt, and bring to a boil. As soon as meat looks cooked through, pour into a colander and run some hot water over it to drain off fat, then rinse pot out with hot water.

Add ketchup, then chili powder. Add water to just cover meat. At this point, I use a stick blender (immersion blender) to bring the mixture to a very fine grind, you could also use a food processor, or a potato masher or a fork. Bring up to a boil. Add the rest of the ingredients (including beans, if using) and lower to a simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes, and then if it is too wet, take the lid off. Taste.

You should be able to decide at this point if more spices are needed or more simmering is required. I like it mild, so if you like it spicy, add cayenne or more chili powder or hot sauce as you like. It’s now ready to serve on top of hot dog in a bun, and add mustard, mayonnaise, shredded cheese, coleslaw or whatever your little heart desires. Any leftovers can be frozen and later used on top of French fries or burgers to make chili burgers or on top of rice or noodles. I usually make a double batch and freeze some for later.

Crockpot-For cooking in crockpot-I cook the meat as stated in first paragraph, then put the meat and all the rest of the ingredients listed in crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours and taste. Add more chili powder, cayenne and hot sauce if you want it spicy.

by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mylilprincesses
by Paula on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:59 AM
Been a while.
Jennyanne322
by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 11:02 AM
Love chili cheese dogs. Had one last week from sonic while I was in NJ.
supermeof3
by New Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 7:46 PM

I actually don't think I have ever had one lol

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:50 PM

If you want a fine texture ground meat, you might try ground pork.  I have not made hotdog sauce with grits but it is very popular.  I have used hominy(crushed in food processor) and it is very good too.  Using a can of refried beans makes a thick sauce ... pureeing a can of chili beans (undrained) works better & adjust seasonings for chili powder. 

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:57 AM

If you like chili, they're delicious.

I see you're a new member. Welcome to the group. Lots of friendly moms here and good ideas. How old are your kids?

Quoting supermeof3:

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:04 AM

It's been a while. Which is odd, because normally it's one of the things we have when we have leftover chili to use.

supermeof3
by New Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Thanks!   And we love chilli ;)  lol
Our kiddos are 11, 8, 7, 4 and our latest addition will be here early October.

Quoting SweetLuci:

If you like chili, they're delicious.

I see you're a new member. Welcome to the group. Lots of friendly moms here and good ideas. How old are your kids?

Quoting supermeof3:

AmosFarkle
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 3:30 PM

I've never understood why people don't eat chili on their dogs.  I must be from the South. grandma

delanna6two
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 4:01 PM

It has been a while....not from homemade though....there's a Sonic near us and when I was expecting my 2nd. son, dh would get them from Sonic...they were so good....I would not mind having one right now:)

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:51 PM

hahaha and slaw?

Quoting AmosFarkle:

I've never understood why people don't eat chili on their dogs.  I must be from the South. grandma

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN