Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Meal Solutions Family Meal Solutions

Cleaning the coffee maker?

Posted by   + Show Post

Almost everyone uses one but have you ever thought about cleaning it? If so how do you clean yours? How often? Do you use anything special when you do? 

I normally run about a cup of vinegar through mine to clean it. It can even be used in one of those one cup coffee makers. 

by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 1:07 PM
Replies (11-19):
OliviaW.
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Quoting DissieDothe:

Quoting OliviaW.:

Vinegar is the easiest way to clean it (most of people buy it anyways). I know that some places sell cleaners for coffee makers though. 

I think vinegar is most popular because it's not poisonous.  Using a cleanser that's not to be consumed and you worry ... have I rinsed it all out ???  If you turn your coffee maker upside down and view the water dispenser that flows into the filter ... it's pretty gross!  Usually can be wiped down but yuck!

My mil accidentally got her old coffee grounds into the water dispenser of my old coffee maker. My old one was a strange thing and the reservoir and the filter area were separated by a thing piece of plastic. Anyway, since I don't drink coffee I didn't have filters and she used a paper towel...it didn't work out well to say the least. It took forever to get the grounds out.  

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Apr. 23, 2014 at 7:34 PM

We don't drink it and I've never owned one. I've wondered how they are cleaned though.

mylilprincesses
by Paula on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:40 PM
We don't drink coffee so we don't have one lol
DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Quoting OliviaW.:

Quoting DissieDothe:

Quoting OliviaW.:

Vinegar is the easiest way to clean it (most of people buy it anyways). I know that some places sell cleaners for coffee makers though. 

I think vinegar is most popular because it's not poisonous.  Using a cleanser that's not to be consumed and you worry ... have I rinsed it all out ???  If you turn your coffee maker upside down and view the water dispenser that flows into the filter ... it's pretty gross!  Usually can be wiped down but yuck!

My mil accidentally got her old coffee grounds into the water dispenser of my old coffee maker. My old one was a strange thing and the reservoir and the filter area were separated by a thing piece of plastic. Anyway, since I don't drink coffee I didn't have filters and she used a paper towel...it didn't work out well to say the least. It took forever to get the grounds out.  

Yikes!!!

AmosFarkle
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Vinegar.  White.  About 1/2 pot.  Run it through. Pour it back in.  Run about 1/2 of that through and let it sit a bit.  Finish running it.  Then run a couple of pots of nice clean cold water through.  

But it really depends on what kind of water your area has.  We have a ton of lime in these mountains.

I suppose I clean it at least once every 2-3 months.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. - Jimmy Buffett smile

delanna6two
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 4:07 PM

I don't have one right now but I really like coffee and drink more of it than most of the family....cold or hot....I use the microwave right now to make a single mug for myself....thanks for the tips though in case I get one later on:)

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 24, 2014 at 10:33 PM

This is exactly what I do.

Quoting AmosFarkle:

Vinegar.  White.  About 1/2 pot.  Run it through. Pour it back in.  Run about 1/2 of that through and let it sit a bit.  Finish running it.  Then run a couple of pots of nice clean cold water through.  

But it really depends on what kind of water your area has.  We have a ton of lime in these mountains.

I suppose I clean it at least once every 2-3 months.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. - Jimmy Buffett smile

hazel1922
by New Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 10:34 PM
I wash it daily if I used it.
la_bella_vita
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Vinegar

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)