If you're like me, you dread a rainy summer day like no one's business. On the East Coast, we have more than enough bad weather days during the non-beautiful months, so when it's luscious and the right season, I want to be outside with my kiddies all day, if possible.

But it isn't always possible (unfortunately). Still, a rainy day doesn't have to mean rain on your parade if you figure out a way to have the parade anyway. And while no one would ever prefer rain to sun (unless they were CRAZY), most of us can appreciate the beauty of a rainy day every once in a while.

So, if you find yourself holed up in the house while it drizzles or pours, here are 10 activities to liven up your rainy day:

1. Amusement park: It may seem crazy and I'm not talking torrential downpour here, but if you have a light drizzle on an otherwise warm (and thunder-free) day, the lines are shorter, the rides are still running, and the potential for sunburn (and heat stroke) is lower. I have had some of my best amusement park days on the days everyone else stays home.
  2. Movie: My favorite thing as a kid was when my mom would take me to a movie on a hot summer day. Throw some popcorn in the mix and some candy, and you have an awesome day for the kids and a low-key day for mommy.
  3. Puddle jumping: Rain won't break kids and actually they tend to love it. Commit to getting wet, put on a bathing suit and rain boots, and go hop in some puddles. You will feel 5 again, too!
  4. Wormy hunting: Kids love being outside on drizzly days when the worms and slugs come out to play. Help them collect them and hold their slimy little bodies. Kids will love it!
  5. Napping: During a thunderstorm, some of my best childhood memories were just turning out the lights, opening the windows, and all piling in my parents' bed. We were ostensibly napping, but just hearing that powerful thunder and being all huddled together was a fun way to spend a rainy afternoon.
  6. Board games: If you have a screened-in porch, it can be a lot of fun to just spend the afternoon playing board games or card games and enjoying each other's company.
  7. Fort building: Kids love building forts and what better time to build a completely elaborate one than a day when you don't want to be outside.
  8. Indoor swimHead to an indoor pool at your gym or a hotel where they sell day passes.
  9. Bowling: More than a few hours can be spent bowling and almost everyone loves to bowl. Make it a super fun competition and get some exercise, to boot.
  10. Tie dye: Really this can be any craft project, but line the basement with newspapers and get messy, dyeing all the whites in the house. Guaranteed to brighten a rainy day!

What do you do on rainy days?