Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

Keeping Families Safe on the Water

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 11:11 PM
  • 7 Replies

By Dawn Johnson

With summer just around the corner and more people heading to the water, it’s important to start thinking about safety.

Tragically, drowning is the second most common cause of accidental death among children, according to the Center for Disease Control. And most drownings happen this time of year. When the outdoor temperatures climb, even the most novice swimmers can be tempted to take a cool dip in a lake, river or swimming pool. It’s important for teens and young adults to know their limits and never swim alone. Parents of young children need to be extra vigilant around water. Never let them out of your sight! It only takes a few seconds for a child to drown. Drowning victims can rarely call for help as they struggle.

Here are some more tips to help keep your children safe around water:

Start swimming lessons once your child reaches the age of 4 – typically the earliest age when they are likely to practice and retain information

Use fences and other barriers to keep kids away from pools when you’re not around

Teach kids to stay away from pool and hot tub drains

Don’t let kids dive into water that is less than 9 feet deep

Use life jackets when in or near open bodies of water

Actively watch children when they are swimming.  Don’t leave, not even for a minute

Teach kids to never swim alone

by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
njmomof3
by Member on Jun. 17, 2011 at 12:02 PM

I think teaching kids to swim early is key!  4 is not young enough, though.  I had all 3 of my kids swimming by the age of 2.  

PEEK05
by on Jun. 17, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Yeah we do infant/toddler swim lessons, not to teach them to swim but to get them used to large bodies of water and "dunk" them. Our swim lessons here without a parent starts at the age of 3.

Quoting njmomof3:

I think teaching kids to swim early is key!  4 is not young enough, though.  I had all 3 of my kids swimming by the age of 2.  

fineyouguyswin
by on Jun. 17, 2011 at 1:40 PM

I agree kids knowing how to swim young is the best the younger the better

CrazedMomof2
by on Jul. 2, 2011 at 11:49 AM
Thanks for sharing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nngmommy83
by on Jul. 2, 2011 at 12:53 PM

These are good tips, both my kids started swim lessons at age 18 months to get them accustomed to being in water

nngmommy83
by on Jul. 2, 2011 at 12:54 PM

We did the same and our city has a similar program as the one your talking about. You can also do private lessons here too.

Quoting PEEK05:

Yeah we do infant/toddler swim lessons, not to teach them to swim but to get them used to large bodies of water and "dunk" them. Our swim lessons here without a parent starts at the age of 3.

Quoting njmomof3:

itsallabtthem84
by ~B~ on Jul. 2, 2011 at 4:29 PM

TFS!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)