Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

New York May Ban Smoking in the Car With Children

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 1:49 PM
  • 7 Replies
June 14, 2011
© iStockphoto

Queens, New York assemblyman David Weprin is pushing to make it illegal in New York state to smoke in a car with a passenger under 14, even if the windows are rolled down. Break the law and it could cost you $100.

Plus: 3 New Ways to Quit Smoking

The proposed ban aims to protect children from secondhand smoke, and adds the age limit because younger kids are less likely to speak up. Four states (Louisiana, California, Maine and Arkansas) have already passed the same law. Weprin wants police to have the ability to stop a car and ask the passengers’ ages if they suspect someone’s smoking around children.

A poll on the New York Daily News website shows that 92% of readers support the law. Do you think it’s fair? Do you ever smoke in the car when kids are riding?

by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
fineyouguyswin
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Good those kids don't ask for lung cancer :O)

Jess1231
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 4:21 PM
I agree if that's something the parent chooses they should not subject their children to it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 6:58 PM

I think this is a great thing.

nngmommy83
by on Jun. 25, 2011 at 12:19 PM

I totally agree with this and wish it was a law everywhere!!

bhwrn1
by on Jun. 26, 2011 at 7:24 PM

ITA with this. People are too dumb to do it themselves, apparently. It's ridiculous.

bhwrn1
by on Jun. 26, 2011 at 7:25 PM

I agree. The kids are not old enough to make ths choice. While I hate that the government might have to get involved, I think it's necessary.

Quoting Jess1231:

I agree if that's something the parent chooses they should not subject their children to it.

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

elasmimi
by on Jun. 27, 2011 at 7:06 AM

I don't smoke, and I don't think children should be exposed to it. But too much government interference scares me almost as much as cancer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)