Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

It's okay to play with your food, sometimes

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2011 at 6:35 PM
  • 12 Replies
Doughnuts on a String Game

You will need:

Ring donuts - one for each child
String
Somewhere to hang the donuts, such as a washing line or a tree
Some one to hold the other end of the string (optional)

How to play:

Tie each donut with a length of string and then suspend them at the appropriate height for the party-goers. Keeping all hands firmly behind the back, eat the donuts!
For added fun and difficulty have someone hold one end of the string and bounce it up and down for the players to have to chase the doughnut.

You can string other decorations up with the donuts if you wish - perhaps balloons and streamers for birthdays, plastic spiders for Halloween, and so on.

Chubby Bunnies

You will need:

Lots of marshmallows

How to play:

Sit the children around in a circle. Hand around a big bowl of marshmallows and instruct each child to put a marshmallow into each cheek and then say, straight faced, "I am a chubby bunny". Anyone who laughs of doesn't say it clearly is eliminated. Those that remain in the game are passed another two marshmallows, which they add to the ones already in their cheeks, and the game continues until a winner is declared or everyone is laughing too much to notice who wins!

Hints:

Some children will not want to play. Let them save face by putting them in charge of passing out the marshmallows or being "chief giggle spotter."

The Chocolate Game

You Will Need:

A wrapped bar of chocolate
A plate
A knife and fork
Some dressing-up items (at least a hat, scarf and gloves)
Two dice

How to play:

Put the bar of chocolate on the plate with the knives and forks nearby and sit the children around it in a circle. Throw the pile of dressing up clothes into the circle. Give one child the dice.

Children take it in turns to roll the dice on the floor in front of them, passing them around the circle to their left. If a child rolls a double, they leap into the center of the circle, put on the dressing up clothes, and start to unwrap, then eat, the bar of chocolate - but only using the knife and fork. That child keeps going until another child rolls a double, at which point they much co-operate in handing over the dressing up clothes so that the next child gets a turn.

Hints:

This game can get very rowdy as doubles sometimes come thick and fast! Be prepared the change the rules if nobody is getting a chance to eat any chocolate, perhaps using only double 3, double 4, and double 5.

If you have a particularly large group of children, you might be better off having two sets of dice going round the circle (starting opposite each other) at the same time. If you do, you might want to limit "winning" doubles to double 5 and double 6.

Have a spare bar of chocolate or two on hand in case you have some proficient party-goers! You might also want to swap forks every so often for hygiene reasons.

When I was young we played a variation of this game. Instead of eating chocolate with a knife and fork, we ate peanuts with chopsticks! Perhaps my mother invented this variation when she felt we were too young to handle the knife and fork safely. These days you might be better off using Smartees or M&Ms given that some children suffer from severe nut allergies.

by on Jul. 3, 2011 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
itsallabtthem84
by ~B~ on Jul. 3, 2011 at 11:46 PM

Cool, tfs.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 4, 2011 at 8:57 AM

LOL! I remember playing the donut game at a friend's birthday party when I was a child.

jen113000
by Jenna on Jul. 4, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Interesting! Never heard of this before!

nngmommy83
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 11:27 AM

These are cute games!

mem82
by Member on Jul. 4, 2011 at 11:51 AM

I'm going to try some of these. 8)

Barabell
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Great games! Thanks for sharing.

bhwrn1
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2011 at 4:22 PM
Cute!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jess1231
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 5:24 PM
How fun
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sew4fun
by on Jul. 5, 2011 at 12:52 AM

Cool !

Rogue35
by on Jul. 5, 2011 at 7:11 AM

GREAT IDEAS.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)