harry potter deathly hallows

As a rabid Harry Potter fan, I would go to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 when it opens next week (next week!!!) even if critics were calling it the worst film of the series, but they're NOT: The early reviews are as glowing as a patronus! Terms like "monumental," "exciting," and "massively eventful" are being tossed around, with one critic (Phillip Womack of The Telegraph) even preferring the movie to J.K. Rowling's book. When does that ever happen??

But I completely get what Womack means. Just from the flat-out spectacular trailer, I can already tell that the film version is deeper, darker, and more visceral than Rowling's print finale. Maybe this is because the creative team behind the movie managed to make the story's most potentially epic scenes more visually stunning than any of us could have imagined, or maybe it's because the emotional intensity conveyed by the actors isn't the kind of thing that comes across well on the page (especially considering the incomparably talented cast). I loved the book, don't get me wrong, but I only got slightly teary-eyed at the end ... and I'm pretty sure I'll be sobbing in the theatre as the credits roll (which will make my kids laugh at me and tease me for months, but who cares?). In my opinion, the movies have been skyrocketing in quality since Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and this last movie in the franchise will fill the cinematic sky with fireworks.

I haven't gone to see a movie repeatedly in the theatre since I was 8 years old and Supergirl came out (shut UP, it was awesome), but I can tell this is a flick that will need to be experienced on the big screen numerous times. Maybe even in one day. Watch the final trailer and see what you think ...

Are you on the edge of your seat waiting for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2?