Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

Some thoughts about snacks on the go....

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:15 AM
  • 9 Replies

I have been reading your posts about all the great ideas for snacks on the go. Some of you are very creative and I appreciate having some novel ideas for our next outing. I just want to plant one little seed for the next time you are packing snacks to go: for the parents of children with severe peanut allergy, peanut butter and other peanut snacks present a life-threatening situation for their children. I know, I have a 4 year old who reacts to the smell of peanuts.

Now before this post turns into a thrash fest, I want you to know that I am writing this in the interest of raising awareness and opening dialogue - not to pit parents against parents. I know that when I take my children to a public place, it poses a threat to my youngest son's health and well-being. I know this, I weighed the risks many years ago when we first learnt how serious his condition is, and I made a decision back then that I will not let his allergies define who he is and allow them to impact all of the positive, normal activities he needs to do in order to grow into a well-rounded, confident person. I take him everywhere - the beach, the playground, the waterpark, everywhere. And I take benadryl and 2 epipens and disinfectant wipes. And I am on high alert every time. I am trying hard to maintain a balance between using reasonable precautions to keep my son safe and being a crazy woman. Some might say it's far too late for the latter, but I know that information and cooperation are far more effective tools in keeping Luc safe than maniacal rants and accusations.

If my son did not have anaphylaxis to peanuts, I would probably never think twice about what I was packing in my snack bags. But he does, and he is the most precious thing to me, so I do what any parent does - do the best I can to keep him safe. But keeping my youngest son safe is a great deal trickier. So on behalf of the thousands of children out there with severe peanut allergy, and their desperately-trying-not-to-be-too-crazy mothers, I simply ask you to try to be aware that there are children whose throats could constrict, preventing them from breathing, and creating a serious, life-threatening situation if they smell or come into even slight residual contact with peanuts. Perhaps wiping their hands and faces after consumption, not eating peanut snacks on play equipment, keeping to your area and not wandering into other family areas with peanut snacks, etc, would be reasonable precautions. Just little things we can all be aware of to reduce risk to any child with this condition.

I think a picture is worth a thousand words, so I am including a picture of my little cutie-patootie, Luc. Thank you for you time and consideration, and I hope you all have a great summer.

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LovesFredric
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Very good points.  I'm so sorry that his reaction to peanuts is that severe!  Knowing how prevelant peanuts are, it has to be terribly worrisome to try to keep him away from them!

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Thanks for the info. Definitely something to keep in mind when packing snacks to go.

nngmommy83
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:10 PM
Thanks, I have definetly learned something today and will be more aware
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Thanks. Great info

RobynS
by Mama2CamKat on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:55 PM

What a little doll! Thanks for the post. I definitely try to be aware of this. Though DS took PB sandwiches to school a lot last year and there was never a problem. Fortunately, I don't think anyone at his school has a severe peanut allergy.

I recently found that I am allergic to peanuts (among other things), but it's not that kind of allergy... it's more of a "food sensitivity."

Godspitgrl
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:38 PM
I understand the concerns and think that to keep it off the equipment and away from other families is a great idea. Thankfully do not have a nut allergy but have a gluten, milk, and chocolate allergy. And sine the wheat is not (or was not) heard of as often I have had moms just give cookies to ODS with out asking or saying anything to me. I quickly take it from him have him spit out anything in his mouth and get as much out as soon as I can. I then inform the parent that no matter what it is you are giving to another child if it is not your child you need to ask. My son is severely allergic and if has even one slice of bread it effects his kidneys where they start to shut down. I don't think that asking first is a big deal when I. Regard to saving my sons life. He h already had 6 surgeries I don't want to go through more.
Rogue35
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:40 PM

I will keep that in mind.

LovesFredric
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:20 PM
Yikes :-( poor little guy! Yes you would think asking would be a given...esp if they didnt know you well enough to know about his allergies

Quoting Godspitgrl:

I understand the concerns and think that to keep it off the equipment and away from other families is a great idea. Thankfully do not have a nut allergy but have a gluten, milk, and chocolate allergy. And sine the wheat is not (or was not) heard of as often I have had moms just give cookies to ODS with out asking or saying anything to me. I quickly take it from him have him spit out anything in his mouth and get as much out as soon as I can. I then inform the parent that no matter what it is you are giving to another child if it is not your child you need to ask. My son is severely allergic and if has even one slice of bread it effects his kidneys where they start to shut down. I don't think that asking first is a big deal when I. Regard to saving my sons life. He h already had 6 surgeries I don't want to go through more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsallabtthem84
by ~B~ on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Quoting mumsy2three:

Thanks for the info. Definitely something to keep in mind when packing snacks to go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)