Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

Etiquette Question!

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 5:18 PM
  • 34 Replies

Poll

Question: What do you think?

Options:

I would be happy to write my name and address on an envelope for the guest of honor

I would be offended. The recipient should address the envelopes herself.

Other. Because, well, you know! ;)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 16

View Results

I saw a letter in an advice column. The writer was very upset that people at bridal showers and baby showers handed out envelopes so that people could self-address them. She thought that if the person wanted to thank her, they should also take the time to address the envelope.

by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RobynS
by Mama2CamKat on Jul. 10, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Personally, I think this is a nice little extra for the bride or mother-to-be, as it would make the daunting task of writing thank you cards a bit easier.

Plus, who knows YOUR address better than YOU? Less room for error this way. If I'm at a party to celebrate a friend, why not take a few seconds and give them that extra little gift. ;)

I thought the writer was being quite petty. At least this way she knows she can expect a thank you--in a day and age when not everyone is polite enough to bother with thank you cards!

RobynS
by Mama2CamKat on Jul. 10, 2011 at 5:20 PM

By the way, Dear Abby's advice was that she should decline to write down her address and tell the host that if the person wanted to thank her she should do it herself and (this is what really got me) that is she DIDN'T want to thank her, she should return the gift. RUDE!!!

nngmommy83
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 6:17 PM
I guess I wouldn't mind it but have never been put in that situation before so might be taken aback at first
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsallabtthem84
by ~B~ on Jul. 10, 2011 at 6:26 PM

I don't know about this one.

RobynS
by Mama2CamKat on Jul. 10, 2011 at 6:46 PM

I've never faced this either, but it seems like a simple enough request. I see why it might be nicer if the person wrote out the envelopes herself. But really... isn't what she writes on the inside of the card more important?

Quoting nngmommy83:

I guess I wouldn't mind it but have never been put in that situation before so might be taken aback at first

Come laugh with me as I fumble my way through
cooking around my new-found food allergies:

A Side Order of Nothing

eating

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 10, 2011 at 7:25 PM

I've never done it at a bridal shower but have done it at two baby showers.

natesmom1228
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 7:43 PM
I did that at my bridal shower and then we used the envelopes to draw the door prizes. So in the end it served two purposes. No one had an issue with it. I actually got compliments on what a clever idea it was.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrazedMomof2
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 8:43 PM
I don't care for the idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RobynS
by Mama2CamKat on Jul. 10, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Awesome! And you saved some paper in the process. Good job, mama! ;)

Quoting natesmom1228:

I did that at my bridal shower and then we used the envelopes to draw the door prizes. So in the end it served two purposes. No one had an issue with it. I actually got compliments on what a clever idea it was.

RobynS
by Mama2CamKat on Jul. 10, 2011 at 9:29 PM

And were you at all bothered by it? Did it rub you the wrong way?

Quoting mumsy2three:

I've never done it at a bridal shower but have done it at two baby showers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)