Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

What are your 'summer rules'?

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 12:56 PM
  • 13 Replies

I saw this in The Stir - What rules do you have for summer?

'Summer Rules' When You've Lost All Control

Posted by April Peveteaux
on July 20, 2011
summer rules
It occurred to me yesterday as I pulled away from the In 'N' Out drive-thru window, each of us in the car holding a milkshake, that this wasn't any ordinary day. My pre-schooler clearly agreed, as she then declared this "the best day EVER," since I also told her she could put on Nick Jr. when we got home. Of course, as a mom, this was absolutely not my best parenting day ever.

Things of this nature have been happening a lot lately. Rules have been bending, our usual schedule has gone all laissez-faire, and I'm realizing we're smack in the middle of summertime. We're on summer rules!

It's happened, now that my oldest has a school season (even if it's just pre-school), that we're in a whole other calendar way. School's out, and the rules are out. And I'm starting to get that other parents already knew about this alternate world of child-rearing that happens every year in July.

Here are the five rules of summer we're currently living by:

1. Bedtime? Who needs a bedtime? Besides, 90 percent of the time they hit the sheets late, they let us sleep in a bit.
  2. Ice cream is a daily possibility.
  3. It's "Wear what you want day!" every day. Who cares if that's what you usually call "pajamas"?
  4. Too hot to play outside? Come cool yourself down in the soft light of the television.
  5. Mommy's work schedule? What's that? (Okay, this isn't the best summer rule to give up, admittedly. Yet is seemingly a side effect of numbers 1 to 4.)

What are your summer rules?

by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jess1231
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 1:03 PM
Our rules are always the same
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomX3ThatsMe
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 1:39 PM

My rules are really lax in the summer...  Bedtime is much later and is not always at the same time.  It's hard to get them to bed at 7PM - the sun is still fully up and it is bright outside!  Meals happen outside a lot, so the whole "sit down at the table through your meal" rule is bent... the kids are up and down from their picnic table while they eat.  We do popsicles and treats more often.  Our days are generally "lazier"  since we do not have preschool schedules and tons of extracurriculars going on.

itsallabtthem84
by ~B~ on Jul. 21, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Rules do not change.

KamiB79
by Member on Jul. 21, 2011 at 1:58 PM
Our rules in Summer are similar to the ones you listed!
saraface5383
by Sara on Jul. 21, 2011 at 2:34 PM
Rules don't change, none of them are in school yet so its the same ... But once there in school I have no problem changing it up!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alliesmom112
by Member on Jul. 21, 2011 at 3:26 PM
Pretty much the rules you listed above. With the exception of tv we come inside and play games or play in the pool. We also take several more day trips during the summer to museums, park, zoo, etc
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Miranda1127
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 9:01 PM

lol...summer has no rules, nor should it.

aj23
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 11:48 PM

My general rules are don't  bleed on anything and be nice lol

tazdvl
by Member on Jul. 21, 2011 at 11:54 PM

ha ha

Quoting aj23:

My general rules are don't  bleed on anything and be nice lol

tazdvl
by Member on Jul. 21, 2011 at 11:55 PM

Bedtime is later most days. With it being lighter out longer we let them play outside longer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)