I saw this in The Stir - What rules do you have for summer?
Things of this nature have been happening a lot lately. Rules have been bending, our usual schedule has gone all laissez-faire, and I'm realizing we're smack in the middle of summertime. We're on summer rules!
It's happened, now that my oldest has a school season (even if it's just pre-school), that we're in a whole other calendar way. School's out, and the rules are out. And I'm starting to get that other parents already knew about this alternate world of child-rearing that happens every year in July.
Here are the five rules of summer we're currently living by:
- Bedtime? Who needs a bedtime? Besides, 90 percent of the time they hit the sheets late, they let us sleep in a bit.
- Ice cream is a daily possibility.
- It's "Wear what you want day!" every day. Who cares if that's what you usually call "pajamas"?
- Too hot to play outside? Come cool yourself down in the soft light of the television.
- Mommy's work schedule? What's that? (Okay, this isn't the best summer rule to give up, admittedly. Yet is seemingly a side effect of numbers 1 to 4.)
What are your summer rules?