Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

Advice? Or should I wait it out?

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 10:30 PM
  • 16 Replies

My son is freaked out about doing back floats in the water.  He will put his face in the water.  He will go underwater.  He will swim underwater.  But there is something about laying face up in the water with his head touching the water that totally freaks him out!  I cannot get him to let me even help him get into the position because he flips out...

Any ideas out there?  How did you get yours kiddos to get past their water fears?  Should I just give him his space and let him do it when he is ready?  This is the only thing holding him back from the next level of swim lessons...

Update:  Thanks for your replies, everyone!  I think we are going to just wait and let him get comfortable with the idea on his own!  We do not want him fearing water.  I will take aj23's advice though, and see if maybe he wants to try laying on his back in the tub where the water is super shallow and he knows he cannot go under! :)

by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tazdvl
by Member on Jul. 21, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Have you asked his teacher? I would talk to him about it, see if he tells you why he is afraid. I think I would wait, I would be afraid of making him not like the water.

aj23
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 11:34 PM

See if you can get him to do it in the bathtub where there isn't much water. Maybe feeling safer will help.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jul. 22, 2011 at 1:38 AM

I say let him have his space and when he is ready he will go for it.

mommybug77
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2011 at 1:40 AM

wait it out

saraface5383
by Sara on Jul. 22, 2011 at 2:35 AM

i havent gotten to that point yet, so i dont really have any advice,it may just be something he never does.

Jess1231
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 7:30 AM
I would let him do it when he is ready.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomX3ThatsMe
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 9:02 AM

I think I will wait it out for sure... but I am curious about aj23's idea about trying it in the bathtub!  I think we will start practicing this way first!  Maybe he will be more comfortable there since the water is super shallow and he knows he will not go under?  We'll see tonight!  Thanks for the advice, everyone!

LovesFredric
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2011 at 10:16 AM

I would wait it out too....has he seen other kids do it? and you?  maybe some you tube videos?  Just keep exposing him to the water, and I'm sure he will get comfortable on his own time...

LovesFredric
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2011 at 10:20 AM

I thought this was a really great video - hope it will be helpful!!

jen113000
by Jenna on Jul. 22, 2011 at 10:27 AM

I would wait, you don't want him to not like the water anymore...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN