Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

Advice? Or should I wait it out?

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is freaked out about doing back floats in the water.  He will put his face in the water.  He will go underwater.  He will swim underwater.  But there is something about laying face up in the water with his head touching the water that totally freaks him out!  I cannot get him to let me even help him get into the position because he flips out...

Any ideas out there?  How did you get yours kiddos to get past their water fears?  Should I just give him his space and let him do it when he is ready?  This is the only thing holding him back from the next level of swim lessons...

Update:  Thanks for your replies, everyone!  I think we are going to just wait and let him get comfortable with the idea on his own!  We do not want him fearing water.  I will take aj23's advice though, and see if maybe he wants to try laying on his back in the tub where the water is super shallow and he knows he cannot go under! :)

by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 10:30 PM
Replies (11-16):
CrazedMomof2
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 10:39 AM
I agree

Quoting kmrtigger:

I say let him have his space and when he is ready he will go for it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 10:48 AM

I would wait

torttia
by Member on Jul. 22, 2011 at 10:58 AM

I would back off. My ds is only 2 but even with a life vest on and me holding him he does not like it. It can be scary to not be able to see where your going. I would do it myself and let him see there is nothing to be afraid of but not push it.

lukesmyboy
by Christina on Jul. 22, 2011 at 2:30 PM
I would wait.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jul. 22, 2011 at 2:35 PM

I would let it go!

MomX3ThatsMe
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Thanks, everyone!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)