Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

Friday Night Family Nachos

By Dutch Blitz on Sep. 10, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Hello there! My name is Angella and I'm here to share what works for my family and I. People often comment that we "must be so busy." One husband, three kids between the ages of (almost) five and (almost) nine, two dogs, two cats and fifty chickens. My husband and I both work full-time, I do freelance work in the evening and he works on our (large) property while I do so. Our kids are in school full-time and we have a number of activities that we are all involved in: Church, boys' club, swimming lessons, ballet lessons, boot camp and running (me), hunting/fishing/snowmobiling (him) and, well, yeah. I guess you could say that we're busy.

This would be more than enough reason for us to eat out often but we just...don't, unless it's a date night for my husband and I or we're on a road trip and we have no other options. We cook dinner at home every night and pack lunches for all five of us when we're at work/school. When we go on holidays we book rooms/cabins with a kitchenette or full kitchen so that we can buy groceries and cook tasty (and healthy) meals. Part of it is the fact that I love to cook, part of it is the fact that my husband is Dutch and, thus, frugal (I'm pretty frugal myself) and the other part of it is that I was not blessed with one of those light-speed metabolisms I envied that others have. I was a "big girl" until my early twenties, when I finally learned how to eat more balanced meals and started incorporating exercise into my life.

While my husband and I want our kids to learn that eating well and exercise is part of a healthy life, we also want them to learn about balance and not have food issues. Plus, if I only ate healthy items seven days a week, I know that one day I would snap and empty the contents of the junk food aisle of my local grocery store into my gaping maw. I've found that having a "cheat night" is essential to keeping me sane and that little piece (or heaping pile) of cheese dangling at the end of the week encourages me to toe the line, for the most part, the rest of the week.

Friday nights are those magical nights where I cast aside salads and lean proteins and indulge my cravings. Which, if you know me at all, usually consist of Friday Night Nachos. The entire family loves them, they're easy to make and they are so very, very tasty.

Here is my recipe:

INGREDIENTS:

Ground beef
Taco seasoning (I'm an old El Paso fan - my family has used it since I was a kid)
Nacho chips
Toppings (Tomatoes, peppers, green onions, olives, whatever you have a hankering for)
Cheese (Lots and lots of cheese)

DIRECTIONS

Brown ground beef and drain off the fat. Add taco seasoning and follow directions on the package. While the meat is simmering, prep the toppings and spread one layer of chips on a cookie sheet. Add half of the taco meat and half of the toppings. Place another layer of nacho chips on top, then cover with the other half of meat and toppings. Bake at 350 for 2-5 minutes, until cheese is melted.

Serve with sour cream and salsa (I love fresh salsa but my husband is a die-hard Old El Paso guy). Make (or buy) guacamole if you're a fan and serve it as well.

Enjoy!

Do you take a break from the usual on the weekends when it comes to dinners? Do you have a favorite dish or recipe that you'd like to share?

Dutch Blitz About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • Dutch Blitz
  • by on Sep. 12, 2011 at 3:02 PM
  • Yep! We decided to raise and eat our own chickens. We had chickens for eggs in the past and my husband is willing to butcher the chickens for meat, so...

(We live on an acreage and have the space. :)  )

• Quote Reply
  • Laura1427
  • by PonyFab on Sep. 12, 2011 at 3:18 PM
  • "I know that one day I would snap and empty the contents of the junk food aisle of my local grocery store into my gaping maw" HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That is so true! I actually was talking to my husband about this not long ago. If we go a month without some kind of less-than-healthy food laying around, the next time we have it, I feel like it disappears in a day! We have "taco nights" around here. I might just change it up to nachos soon, though. My husband has been craving them. These sound really tasty!
  • Quote Reply
  • Laura1427
  • by PonyFab on Sep. 12, 2011 at 3:19 PM
  • I love that. :-)My grandparents used to raise their own chickens and cows.

We live in the suburbs of Atlanta, Georgia. I don't see the neighbors taking too kindly to us having chickens. Lol.

Quoting Dutch Blitz:

Yep! We decided to raise and eat our own chickens. We had chickens for eggs in the past and my husband is willing to butcher the chickens for meat, so...

(We live on an acreage and have the space. :)  )

• Quote Reply
  • Dutch Blitz
  • by on Sep. 12, 2011 at 3:25 PM
  • They are! You can do them with chicken as well (done in the slow cooker, it is SO GOOD) and if you want them "lighter" you can use low-fat chips and cheese. The options are endless! :)

• Quote Reply
  • Laura1427
  • by PonyFab on Sep. 12, 2011 at 3:40 PM
  • I know! You could even do pulled pork, shredded beef, or add fajita meat. I like to add a little diced bell pepper and onion to the meat to give it a little extra flavor. My husband is not the biggest sour cream fan, so I am always trying to find other things he likes to add to it. I make a simple pico de gallo and add that on top of almost everything for him. I love guacamole, so I can mash up avacado and add the pico de gallo (with a little lime) to that to make a simple guacamole.  You could melt the cheese into a cheese "sauce". Black beans, corn, and chipotle seasoning can give you quick southwest nachos too.

The possibilities are truly endless with nachos! I should also add that they can be super inexpensive to make. You could cut the cost even more if you were brave enough to make your chips and some of the toppings from scratch. :-D

Quoting Dutch Blitz:

They are! You can do them with chicken as well (done in the slow cooker, it is SO GOOD) and if you want them "lighter" you can use low-fat chips and cheese. The options are endless! :)

• Quote Reply
  • MomX3ThatsMe
  • by on Sep. 12, 2011 at 5:16 PM
  •  The weekends are when my husband usually does the cooking.  So I suppose you could say we take a break from the usual.  He likes to cook with his smoker, so we do a lot of meats on the weekends.

Those nachos look SO good right now!

• Quote Reply
  • Dutch Blitz
  • by on Sep. 12, 2011 at 5:56 PM
  • My husband bought a smoker a few weeks ago! The only thing he's made so far is candied salmon (SO GOOD) and I can't wait to try other meats on the smoker.

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)