Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

A Modern Take on Pork and Beans

Posted by   + Show Post

I don't know about you, but when I hear the term "pork and beans", I immediately think of a gelatinous blob of beans plopping out of a tin can. Not the most appetizing of thoughts, right? Well, trust me when I tell you that this slow cooker meal will forever change the way you view the dish.

This meal is one of those fantastic slow cooker recipes that will make your kitchen smell fantastic for the entire day. Aside from a moderate amount of chopping and prep work up front, the dish cooks itself to perfection while you take on the rest of your day.

Did I mention my kids LOVE IT? Yeah, my vegetable-despising 5-year-old seems to completely forget about his veggie aversion when this stew is sitting in front of him - he practically licks it up before asking for seconds. Not to mention that the slow-cooked pork is so tender that we just tear up pieces for my 1-year-old, alongside the beans and carrots.

Slow Cooker Pork and Beans

2 bacon slices
2 pounds pork ribeye roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 tablespoon paprika
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 15-ounce cans great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 white onion, cut into small chunks
2 carrots, peeled and cut into ½ inch chunks
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes

[1] Cook the bacon in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Remove the cooked bacon to a paper-towel lined plate. In a small bowl, mix the salt, paprika, brown sugar, chile powder and cumin. Rub the spice mixture on the pork and brown the pork in the bacon fat and transfer the pork to a slow cooker. Add the beans and bacon and toss to combine.

[2] Add the onion, carrots and celery to the skillet and sauté for 4 minutes, stirring often, adding any extra spice rub you have. Add the flour.

[3] Add the chicken broth and simmer until slightly thickened, stirring often. Stir in the barbecue sauce and tomatoes and pour into the slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Delicious and perfect for leftovers.

What is your very favorite slow cooker recipe? I'm always on the lookout for the next best thing!

whoorl About :
Replies (11-20):
  • thenguyenclan
  • by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2011 at 9:06 AM
  • ive never used my crock pot for much....i know my dad and step mom used it a couple of times for meatballs and for cooking a turkey....but i would love to see ideas for crock pot recipes...

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)