Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken and Crispy Kale Chips

Posted by   + Show Post

Shredded barbecue chicken is a huge hit with my kids. The sweet, tangy barbecue sauce really draws them in, and the tender, shredded texture makes it super easy for my 1-year-old to eat. Now, I'm not going to lie, you could just as easily pour a bottle of premade barbecue sauce and throw some chicken in a crock pot and call it a day, but I personally love the flavor of this recipe's sauce.

Slow Cooker Shredded BBQ Chicken  

2 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I use 3-4 chicken breasts)

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 ½ cups ketchup

¼ cup brown sugar, firmly packed

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

2 tablespoons cider vinegar

1 tablespoon yellow mustard

1 teaspoon black pepper

½ teaspoon garlic salt

4 kaiser rolls

4 dill pickle spears

[1] Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Brown chicken, turning once, 4 minutes per side. Remove from heat and place in a slow cooker. (If I'm in a huge rush in the morning, I just skip this step and throw 3-4 frozen chicken breasts straight in the slow cooker.)

[2] In a medium bowl, combine ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, mustard, pepper and garlic salt. Pour over chicken.

[3] Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low and cook for 6 to 7 hours. Remove chicken from cooker, shred, and return shredded chicken to sauce. Serve chicken mounded on rolls and topped with pickles. 

Now. Let's talk kale chips. Have you tried kale chips in your household? I'm telling you - these light and crispy chips taste like potato chips, but they are SO GOOD for you. Packed full of beta carotene and Vitamins C and K, you'll be surprised how much kids like them (if you don't eat them all first).

Crispy Kale Chips

1 bunch kale

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 teaspoon seasoned salt

[1] Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a non insulated cookie sheet with parchment paper.

[2] Carefully remove the leaves from the thick stems and tear into bite size pieces. Wash and thoroughly dry kale with a salad spinner. Drizzle kale with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt.

[3] Bake until the edges brown but are not burnt, 10 to 15 minutes.

I know some of you think I'm crazy in regards to the kale chips, but trust me, you need to try it! The only little downfall is that, well, kale makes your kitchen smell like a stale fart while cooking. (Hey! Just being honest here!)

Have you tried kale chips before? What are some of your sneaky side dishes and snacks?

whoorl About :
Replies (21-30):
  • Gweneveer
  • by Colleen on Sep. 25, 2011 at 7:49 PM
  • The Kale chips DO sound delish....not looking forward to my kitchen smelling like farts, but its not like that hasnt happened in the past, lol!!

• Quote Reply
  • avulgamo
  • by Member on Sep. 25, 2011 at 9:35 PM
  • I was just telling DH we need to make shredded bbq chicken sandwiches, looks like a great recipe! I have not tried kale chips and, not gonna lie, I don't think you sold me on them with the stale fart comment lol!
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
  • Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)