Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

My Love Affair With the Humble Tortilla

I am having a hot and heavy affair with the tortilla. And why not? The tortilla is uncomplicated, open, and ready to try anything. It's receptive, flexible, and sensitive. The tortilla, it understands.

The tortilla doesn't care that I'm not a great cook. The tortilla whispers in my ear, "Use me however you like. Make me yours. Together, we will make culinary history." I cannot resist its charms.

My kids are aware of my weakness for the simple tortilla. They like the tortilla, too, which makes things easier. The tortilla likes them back. Really, we are one happy family.

One of the most fun things we've done at dinnertime as a family of three females and the tortilla? Tortilla sushi! Now, don't go getting all panicky there. No raw fish, no seaweed. That's the magic of it. You'll have to bear with me, as I did not make my millions as a recipe writer. But I'll do my best to give you an idea of how tortilla sushi can rock your pickiest eater's world (and yours).

TORTILLA SUSHI (okay, not really even CLOSE to sushi, but we like to pretend here)

Ingredients

• Um, you know, some tortillas
  • Some cream cheese
  • Some cooked rice, if you want to be, you know, sushi-authentic
  • Some excellently vitamin-packed fruit, like a mango
  • Maybe some peeled cukes or carrots, for crunch

Directions

• Plop a few tortillas on a surface free of cat fur and muddy dog pawprints. You can put them on your counter. It's okay. I won't tell.
  • Smear lots of cream cheese on your highly willing tortillas.
  • Add rice. You know. However you want. If you're really impressive, you'll figure out how to make sushi rice. With, like, sugar and rice wine vinegar. But that's extra credit only.
  • Slice whatever fruit and veggies you have on hand in nice long strips.
  • Lay the fruit and veggies strips on top of the cream cheese.
  • Roll the tortillas into tight cylinders (cylinders -- um, yeah, I think cookbook writing may not be in my future).
  • Slice off the ends of each roll and feed to dog.
  • Slice each roll into six or so equal pieces.
  • Plate nicely, i.e., make sure the dishwasher didn't seal the oatmeal to the plate during the dry cycle.
  • See! Tortilla sushi! Jump around singing, "I rock! I rock!" while your children stare blankly.

My gals love this. Tortilla sushi is a fantastic healthy snack. If your kids like smoked salmon (Daughter #1 and I love this variation), then add some for a real sushi vibe, with none of that seaweed-stuck-in-the-teeth action afterward.

You can also make Mexican "sushi," by filling the tortilla with delicious refried beans and taco cheese and green chiles. But the pinwheel presentation makes it a lovely change from the usual Taco Night.

You must excuse me now. Dinner approaches. Tortilla and I? We are going to shake our groove thang. This is love, after all, and we have many, many possibilities to explore.

What's your go-to food? Are you having a love affair with something yummy? Spill it!

BreedEmAndWeep About :
Replies (51-54):
  • Bmat
  • by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2011 at 3:25 PM
  • I used to make quesadillas with a large tortilla, filled with whatever chopped meat and veggies I had, a bit of salsa, fold over and seal. Bake until hot and one per person made a nice meal.

• Quote Reply
  • Wish2Be
  • by Member on Oct. 17, 2011 at 8:38 AM
  •  I like wraps more than the tortilla myself. I make just about anything with wraps. I even make burgers and wrap them !

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)