Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

Being Thankful At The Dinner Table (And Always)

Posted by   + Show Post

This past weekend was Thanksgiving in Canada, and Thanksgiving here in America is just around the corner. Thanksgiving is a great opportunity to connect with our friends and extended families, eat copious amounts of turkey and delicious sides (and desserts!), and to reflect on what we're thankful for. It's kind of great that we have a day set aside to make us stop, and reflect, and just be thankful.

My husband and I like to practice thankfulness with our kids every day. We are a family who says grace before our meals and who pray with our kids at bedtime, but we have friends who are not "prayers" who incorporate the same idea into their mealtimes and bedtimes. It's a really simple concept, to spend a few minutes reflecting on how good we have it. We throw out the question, "What are you thankful for today?" and the answers make my every day.

I'm thankful that we have our great home.

I'm thankful that I get to be the VIP at school tomorrow.

I'm thankful that I had a play date with my best friend today.

I'm thankful that I got new Pokemon cards.

I'm thankful that I just farted and my tummy doesn't hurt anymore.

The answers sometimes make me cry, sometimes make me smirk, sometimes make me stifle laughter. I just love that we spend those few minutes a day to reflect on what we're thankful for.

Back to the topic of Thanksgiving! I have a dinner roll recipe that I want to share with you. I am asked to make them for every Christmas/Easter/Thanksgiving family dinner, and for good reason. THEY ARE AMAZING. (I got the recipe from  long-defunct magazine, tweaked it, and will be making/eating these dinner rolls forever and ever, amen.)

INGREDIENTS:

¼ cup honey
2 tsp yeast
1 cup hot water
1/3 cup skim milk powder
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 tsp salt
4 to 4 ½ cups flour
Cooking spray
½ cup melted unsalted butter, for brushing

DIRECTIONS:

In large bowl, dissolve honey & yeast in the water; let stand 5 minutes (until foamy)

Stir in dry milk, eggs, butter & salt

Stir in 4 cups flour, turn onto floured surface & knead for a few minutes, adding additional ½ cup as needed.

Shape into ball. Lightly coat large bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in warm place until doubled; 1 to 1 ½ hours.

Brush muffin tins with melted butter. Punch down dough. Roll pieces of dough into 1 inch balls; place 3 balls in each muffin cup. Brush tops with butter. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise in warm place – 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375. Bake until golden; 12-15 minutes.

Slather with butter and try to stop at just one. It's not possible.

Do you incorporate thankfulness into your daily lives? How do you celebrating the Thanksgiving holiday? Do you have a secret recipe that you are famous for?

Dutch Blitz About :
Replies (51-59):
  • elasmimi
  • by on Oct. 23, 2011 at 6:03 PM
  • I have never mastered the art of making yeast breads. Going to practice this winter.

• Quote Reply
  • Stormy6669
  • by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 2:13 AM
  • Our thanksgiving is celebrated with family and friends. We are thankful everyday for what we have as we don't have much but we have each other.

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN