Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

Two-Family Taco Nights: The Perfect No-Reason-Necessary Party

By BreedEmAndWeep on Oct. 12, 2011 at 12:00 AM

So I recently asked Ms. Finicky what it is that she craves the most about Taco Night. After all, I pointed out, she won't try tacos or burritos or any other Mexican food when we're eating out.

She shot me a major DUHHHH look.

"That's the whole thing," said Ms. Finicky. "I like Taco Night because it's at HOME. Or at Samantha's house. Taco Night...it should be lots of friends and family and everybody laughing and having a good time. AND you get to put whatever you want in your tacos. I like that. Speaking of Taco Night, when ARE we having another with Sam's family?"

For quite a while, we'd had regular two-family Taco Nights with Sam's family. The kids have all gotten older and our schedules have gotten crazier. It's been a while since we've had a Taco Night all together. But I think we're going to need to do it again soon. There's no better impromptu party, really, to liven up a school week -- especially midweek, when everyone's weary from the grind of homework and practices and carpools and can use a little pick-me-up and laidback socializing.

The grownups pile taco fixings on the table: mild and hot salsas, shredded cheese, chopped iceberg lettuce, fresh diced tomatoes, warm black beans, refried beans, ground beef (some simmered in El Paso seasoning; some plain, for the fussier wee ones. We also put out sour cream, green chiles, lemon and lime slices for those who love the kick of citrus.

Inevitably the kids are happy: they make a mess, gobble up dinner, then run upstairs or outside to play, en masse. The grownups, well...on two-family Taco Nights, we actually get to be grownups. The kids occupy themselves, thrilled for the break in routine, while the grownups clean up the kitchen together, then veg on the couch, catching up, trading PG-13-rated stories (and maybe even sipping a margarita!).

Sometimes, homework can wait. Sometimes, bedtime can wait too.

In fact, I'm going to call Samantha's mom right now.

Do you have family or friends nearby with whom you love to share dinnertime? What's your favorite kind of No-Reason-Necessary dinner parties?

BreedEmAndWeep About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • Leelee1008
  • by Member on Oct. 12, 2011 at 1:04 PM
  • We jsut did this, this past saturday. My best friend brought 3 of her 4 kids over, we all went to my DS's baseball game and then came home and had dinner. it is fun to sit back share good food and good converstaion.

• Quote Reply
  • KTMOM
  • by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 2:13 PM
  • We love ot have friends over for meals but it just seems lately life has been too busy to make plans with people very often.

• Quote Reply
  • Bmat
  • by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2011 at 10:33 PM
  • What a great idea! I'm all in favor of this. We don't have anyone right now that we could share a meal with like this, though.

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN