Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

Just Desserts

By Dutch Blitz on Oct. 18, 2011 at 12:00 AM

If you've been reading my posts, you know that I love to cook healthy meals for my family, with a weekly "cheat night", usually on Fridays, where we eat nachos and/or pizza and/orother appetizers. What I haven't told you is that I married a man with a sweet tooth and that our kids have inherited that sweet tooth. We don't indulge it daily, but we sure do indulge it on cheat night (and major holidays).

My husband's sweet tooth is mainly of the chocolate variety. Our children have followed in his footsteps, with the occasional vanilla-flavored product snaking in. One thing that they all agree on are the Party Bars.

These were a staple for my husband’s family as they grew up. I tweaked the recipe a bit to make it even better in my (and my husband's) humble opinion.

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup cold butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 Tbsp vanilla

DIRECTIONS:

Heat oven to 350 degrees

Stir flour and brown sugar together. Cut in cold margarine/butter until crumbly. Stir in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. Press mixture on bottom of ungreased 13×9x12 baking pan.

Bake for 15 minutes.

Combine egg, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla in a large bowl. Stir in remaining chocolate chips (1 1/2 cups).

Spread evenly over baked crust and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Cool completely in pan on wire rack, then cut into bars.

This is one of those desserts where I tend to "straighten" the lines when cutting the bar. Multiple times. It has to be PERFECT, you know? Or, I have a party bar addiction. Or both.

Do you have a favorite dessert recipe?

Dutch Blitz About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • kerryket
  • by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2011 at 7:53 AM
  •  I make a gluten free chocolate cake from garbonzo beans and chocolate chips (no, really!)   It  comes out like you would never expect,  you'd never guess it was beans.  

I am making one for my husbands upcoming birthday.

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)