Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

Because Dessert Rocks: Autumn Apple Enchiladas

By BreedEmAndWeep on Oct. 19, 2011 at 12:00 AM

I'm sure it comes as a terrible shock to you that I am not much of a baker. I buy cakes for birthdays, I buy pre-made cookie dough for Christmas Eve (Santa hasn't complained yet), and I buy pies at the local farmers' markets. Sometimes, I plop ice cream on top of a pie, and I feel like I've accomplished something stunning.

The good thing about dessert is, in general, nobody complains about where it comes from, or who made it. I was spoiled with a grandmother who was a baking genius, so I know how good homemade can be. I am sure she's rolling in her grave at the scrambled-egg-studded brownies I created a while back. But let's face it: dessert? Just. Plain. Rocks.

Still, sometimes I get the hankering to be more like my grandmother, and whip up something dessert-y in the oven. Fall, especially, is one of those times. Apples, apples, everywhere! So when a friend sent me this recipe for Autumn Apple Enchiladas, I thought, hey, this might be the perfect ending to Taco Night. Or any night, really. We're going to give it a try this week. Care to join us?

Ingredients

• 1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling (or cherry or peach filling) OR homemade apple filling
  • 6 (8 inch) flour (not corn!) tortillas
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup water

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 2 quart baking dish.
  2. Spread about one quarter cup of fruit filling evenly down the center of each happy tortilla.
  3. Sprinkle with cinnamon and roll up tortillas. Tuck in edges, and place seam side down in prepared dish.
  4. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine butter, white sugar, brown sugar and water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes.
  5. Pour sauce over enchiladas and let stand 30 minutes.
  6. Bake in preheated oven 20 minutes, or until golden.
  7. Take time to smell the Sheer Awesomeness.
  8. Optional-but-who-wouldn't-want-to: Serve with vanilla ice cream on top!
How about you? What's your family's favorite homemade dessert?

BreedEmAndWeep About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN