Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

Just Like Mom Used To (Try To) Make

The girls and I are doing our weekly shopping at the local grocery store. All of the food looks so...pretty. I wonder what it would be like to know what to do with all that pretty shiny produce, all those perfect fillets of fish, all those grains. I wonder what it would be like to be a natural at this cooking stuff.

We head to the deli section, where we wait in line for American cheese, Ms. Finicky's favorite.

"Look really cute," says Ms. Finicky to her older sister. "That way they might give us a slice before they wrap it up."

They beam in unison at the person behind the counter, who smiles back. Success. Free cheese.

Older Daughter notices something. "Mom. Look at all the signs by the salads."

She means the chicken salad and the tuna salad and the egg salad and the potato salad. All of them are labeled: "JUST LIKE MOM'S!"

"Huh," I say. "That's new."

"Yeah. And what if you have a mom--" I can see she is choosing her words carefully.

"Yes?"

"What if you have a mom, who, you know, maybe wasn't the best chef? That would be terrible advertising."

"How's it working on you? The advertising." I ask.

She smiles slyly. "You're not THAT bad."

Ms. Finicky, looking like a mouse, peers over the top of her free cheese slice. "Well, SOMETIMES you are. But you're trying. And trying is important."

It's true on both counts. Sometimes I am a terrible chef, but I really am trying. Family dinnertime has surely improved at Chez Jenny, as we've gotten more and more used to being a family of three instead of four. Sure, there've been a few recent muck-ups, but my report card is better this semester. Recently, I've busted out some excellent dinners, including a pan-seared salmon ("I WILL ONLY EAT THE PINK FISH," declared Ms. Finicky. "I LIKE PINK.") that I managed to cook skin-side down, just like Gordon Ramsay taught me. (I also managed to get the thing out of the pan in one piece, which was a major personal culinary victory.)

This fall, I pulled off really good homemade mashed potatoes, mac-and-cheese NOT out of a box, sauteed spinach, lentil soup, chickpea salad, and chicken burritos. Part of the fun watching them grow up is seeing which genes are kicking in when it comes to food preferences. My older daughter is a hot sauce and vinegar junkie like me, and we do it up right when we make burritos, tacos or salads. Zing!

I'm inconsistent as far as cooking goes, but I get a solid B+ for effort. The one thing that is consistent at dinnertime, though? Laughter. Lots and lots of it. And that, my friends, is impossible to screw up. Happy dinners, all!

What do you love most about dinnertime with your family?

BreedEmAndWeep About :
Replies (31-40):
  • Wish2Be
  • by Member on Oct. 28, 2011 at 12:07 PM
  •  Ok ...I do care about the food if I am making it or buying it, but in all honesty...if all we had was a salad with nothing fantastical about it for dinner....I would be happy just being in the company of my family.

• Quote Reply
  • Wish2Be
  • by Member on Oct. 28, 2011 at 12:08 PM
  •  

Quoting elasmimi:

I used to love to cook for my family, not as thrilled since we are trying to eat healthier. It's a challenge for sure.

I agree. I am trying to do the same....and whats happening is I find a couple good things to make...and make them over and over until I am sick of eating it all the time :(

CafeMom Tickers
  • Quote Reply
  • Leelee1008
  • by Member on Oct. 28, 2011 at 3:16 PM
  • our dinner time usually consist of tv, and trying to get my boys to eat, they would rather eat cookies thensomething good for them. SIGH

• Quote Reply
  • Leelee1008
  • by Member on Oct. 28, 2011 at 3:17 PM
  • I am actually a really good cook, my boys however are very picky and have sweet tooths. I need to invest in  lock box for all our junk food lol

• Quote Reply
  • Bmat
  • by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2011 at 8:04 PM
  • I also agree.  Now that I am trying to use more recommended foods and cooking methods, it isn't as much fun, and the family is complaining more.

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting elasmimi:

I used to love to cook for my family, not as thrilled since we are trying to eat healthier. It's a challenge for sure.

I agree. I am trying to do the same....and whats happening is I find a couple good things to make...and make them over and over until I am sick of eating it all the time :(

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN