Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

Hmm...Update again (2/25)

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 7:55 AM
  • 16 Replies
2nd update...he fixed the wires and put a different alternator (so we wouldn't owe him more money) on and it works! We owe him nothing more and can pick it up tonight!

Update...it died when I got to work yesterday. Nice huh. So he came and jumped it and took it back to his shop. He then put a fourth alternator in and said it was charging and that we could pick it up. No additional charges and to bring it back right away if we have more trouble. So we go to start it up and no go. Deader then a door nail. I walk back over, hand her the keys and said it won't start. She says, Rodney is going to die (he is trying to figure it out and it is baffling him). So they jump it and drive it and run it and it's charging and they turn it off and bam, doesn't start again. So Rodney gets back and he said he wants to play with it more. We get a call after eight asking if anything else is giving us issues. He took it apart and found wires that were corroded and wanted to make sure he fixed all the issues while he had it apart. So he said he's not going to let this truck beat him lol and he would be staying till one am to fix it. He said if its the wires then he will put our old alternator back in and take the one we bought from him back. So we could get money back! That would be awesome! But I hope he can fix it and we can have a reliable truck again.

We finally got our truck in to fix it. They changed the leaf spring at a good price. They charged $100 for the tow and then a good price for the part and repair. Unfortunately we picked it up and they said the batteries weren't charging and therefor needed an alternator. Ok, more money but they offered up a great price again. So it took longer then expected, he said ten minutes but three alternators later we were finally on our way. A couple miles down the road I lost all power inside. No speedometer, gas gage, anything. Stereo gone everything. So he said bring it back right away. we did and a couple blocks away they came back on and he said he has to see it happen. Since we had no idea how long he would have to drive it around to happen again he said, take it home and see. All was good. Got up, it started and we were good. I got to work and bam, the power went out again...ugh. I mean he will fix it but if it doesn't happen for him how will he know what is going on. I'll find out in twenty minutes what it does. I hope it starts and I get it appropriately parked for work. I'm takin up two spots right now in a small lot. DH will probably come get t today. It I worry with Miikka in the car with him if it dies. I know our repair guy would probably come get it but still. Why can't we catch a break with this stupid truck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 7:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
piercedbeauty21
by Shaye on Feb. 24, 2012 at 8:38 AM

:( Are you guys gonna start looking into a different car?

saraface5383
by Sara on Feb. 24, 2012 at 12:29 PM
:( not good, car problems suck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flowerfunleah
by Leah on Feb. 24, 2012 at 12:37 PM

That seems a lot of trouble! Have you thought about just getting another car?

mjimaging
by Melissa on Feb. 24, 2012 at 12:57 PM
We owe 12000 on it still. We would not get that for it and a new car payment would get the 12000 added on to it. It just isn't feasible. We tried a couple years ago and found out we would have a massive payment. It is payed of in less then two years so it just has to make it till then.

Quoting piercedbeauty21:

:( Are you guys gonna start looking into a different car?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjimaging
by Melissa on Feb. 24, 2012 at 12:58 PM
See previous post :)

Quoting flowerfunleah:

That seems a lot of trouble! Have you thought about just getting another car?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyAkaTiffany
by Tiffany on Feb. 25, 2012 at 12:08 AM

bummer!

we used to have a cherokee that would do that when it rained.. weird I know, but the car kept going so I would just deal with it until the power came back on, sometimes it was a few minutes sometimes it was a few days.

anyways I hope you get it fixed!

mjimaging
by Melissa on Feb. 25, 2012 at 8:29 AM
Updated some but we still don't have it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyAkaTiffany
by Tiffany on Feb. 25, 2012 at 10:23 AM

oh wow! I hope it works!!!

piercedbeauty21
by Shaye on Feb. 25, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Oh my! :( Your truck sounds like a fighter! Glad he's putting so much time and effort into making it safe for you guys.

ForeverInLove
by Patsy on Feb. 25, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Oh yikes!

I'd definately be checking the batteries themselves too. The altenator charges the batteries yes, and a bad altenator can cause the vehicle to shut off (like, you can't drive it) while driving down the road.

but, if you are simply losing power to electronic items, it sounds like bad wires with bad batteries. You could have bad cells in the batteries combined with the corroded wires.

That all just sounds NUTS!. I'm so glad that I can just call my Dad, lol. He's great at diagnosing over the phone... literally.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN