Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

So, what the heck is it?

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 6:43 AM
  • 40 Replies

We all know that certain items are given different words depending on your part of the country: bubbler/water fountain/drinking fountain; pop/soda/coke; buggy/shopping cart, etc.

So, here's another one for you.  I'm from the upper midwest and I was talking with my friend who is from the deep south.  She referred to an object and I had never heard it called that before.  I'm not going to influence you with announcing which words she & I used, but would like to hear what word YOU use for it:

Something that you put on your feet, typically at night and/or in the morning, often worn with pajamas, (not socks).  

What is it?

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 6:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Strega
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 6:47 AM

Slippers?

Daisypath - (oQoi)

Follow Me on Pinterest

moniagee
by New Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 6:51 AM
House shoes. And I'm from the midwest, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
the3Rs
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 6:52 AM

LOL - well the first two answers are the two we both said.  I call them slippers, and my friends call them house shoes - and I've NEVER heard of house shoes before...sounds so strange!  So, is it correct to guess that moniagee was/is from the south?  So strange that you're from the midwest and say that!  I was born and raised here...

So, I wonder what other factor goes into which word is used?

Strega
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 6:53 AM

I've heard them called House Shoes before, but only when we lived in Memphis for a bit. Definitely not the way we roll here.. Haha

Quoting the3Rs:

LOL - well the first two answers are the two we both said.  I call them slippers, and my friends call them house shoes - and I've NEVER heard of house shoes before...sounds so strange!  So, is it correct to guess that moniagee was/is from the south?

Daisypath - (oQoi)

Follow Me on Pinterest

Kristi483
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:24 AM
I would call them slippers but I have heard house shoes a bunch down here in Mississippi and I am from Florida but I still don't say House shoes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zyceballos
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:30 AM
I'm from the south and depending where you're from we call a shopping cart a buggy or the trunk of the car the boot... Oh and I call them both slippers and house shoes depends what mood I'm in
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
the3Rs
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:50 AM

The trunk of the car the boot?  That's another new one for me - I gotta get out more!  LOL :)

backroadsmom
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:00 AM

They are called slippers in Northern West Virginia!? ... lol

IncognitoOne
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I call them slippers.

My grandma calls them step-ins...lol.

backroadsmom
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Short story from my 15 yrs spent in North Carolina...

I was working a small gas station where we also sold fast food. The (nice southern) lady who was working the register, taking food orders and yelling them back at me to cook, one day yelled, "I need a grilled cheese."

That confused me because we didn't serve just a simple grilled cheese. Hamburgers, hot dogs & lots of other stuff, but we had no grilled cheese on the menu.

I figured it was either a special order or I had misheard her in the busy noise of the store and I yelled back up several times to clarify... "A grilled cheese????"

Finally... frustrated that I could not hear her she left the register, walked over to me and said loudly & through now clenched teeth... "I NEED a grilled cheekin."

At that point MY frustration came spilling out and I said... "Well lady, the word chicken doesn't have an "E" in the middle of it! lol

Gotta say though, I love the southerners and the southern lifestyle and I do miss the constant arguments that it's 'soda' and not 'pop.'

Note: My children were schooled there & my youngest son went all the way through first grade with me arguing constantly with his elderly teacher.. that he could not yet read and needed phonics! They did not use phonics at his school! You know... ba,ba, ba...B sound! They used old school repetitive reading. In other words, they read and reread the same passage until the children remembered the words. I taught him phonics. He is only 19 now so it wasn't that long ago. Amazing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN