Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Fun Family Fun

Fun craft/science project! (dds science proj for school!)

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:17 AM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

My dd had to make a plant model and label the parts! She used crushed soda cans as the petals and painted them! the seeds are the coke tabs painted brown! For the stem she used the handle of a fishing net and wrapped it in a dog food bag paper! We dug up some dirt in the yard and "planted" her flower in a bucket that we got from a local berry picking farm! We filled it up with the dirt to make the flower stand up! For the leaves she used cardboard from a home depot box and also wrapped them in the dog food bag paper! She used all recycled materials! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bncholbert
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:17 AM
we labeled the parts after the pic was taken. petals, seeds, stems and leaves :) Shes in kindergarten!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bncholbert
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:18 AM
it was really cool seeing all the kiddos science projects today!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flowerfunleah
by Leah on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:21 AM

What an excellent project, I love it!!!

Bncholbert
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Thank u! It was really fun looking for stuff to use to make it! We taught dd early on about recycling so she was thrilled that she used all recycled materials for her project!

Quoting flowerfunleah:

What an excellent project, I love it!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:03 PM

That's so creative, I love it!

TristanMitchael
by Kristina‚ô• on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this
That is so unique & awesome! Very creative!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annasew
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:54 PM

science project made me think of one my dd did just for fun at home.  You take a ziploc sandwich bag and sit it inside a clear glass or cup. Then you put in an egg and enough white vinegar to cover the egg into the bag and close it up.  Let it sit for 3 days then take the egg out.  The vinegar disolves the egg shell but leaves the membrane intact.  So you have a soft egg lol ok then carefully rinse the vinegar off and rinse out the bag.  Put the bag back into the glass and put the egg back in this time covering with kayro syrup.  Let it sit for 3 days.  The kayro will suck all the water out of the egg leaving just the yolk and egg white part.  Carefully rinse the kayro off the egg and clean out the bag.  Then put the egg back in the bag this time with water.  The egg will absorb the water and go back to its egg shape.   It is really cool. 

Bncholbert
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:39 PM
That sounds really cool! We'll have to try this!

Quoting annasew:

science project made me think of one my dd did just for fun at home.  You take a ziploc sandwich bag and sit it inside a clear glass or cup. Then you put in an egg and enough white vinegar to cover the egg into the bag and close it up.  Let it sit for 3 days then take the egg out.  The vinegar disolves the egg shell but leaves the membrane intact.  So you have a soft egg lol ok then carefully rinse the vinegar off and rinse out the bag.  Put the bag back into the glass and put the egg back in this time covering with kayro syrup.  Let it sit for 3 days.  The kayro will suck all the water out of the egg leaving just the yolk and egg white part.  Carefully rinse the kayro off the egg and clean out the bag.  Then put the egg back in the bag this time with water.  The egg will absorb the water and go back to its egg shape.   It is really cool. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annasew
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:55 PM

it is cool and there is actually a lesson about the acidity in vinegar and then about how water can pass through pores but thick things like kayro cannot.

Quoting Bncholbert:

That sounds really cool! We'll have to try this!

Quoting annasew:

tatuchick4u2c
by Misty on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:47 PM

That is so cute!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)